Luminescence properties of europium doped lithium potassium tetraborate (Eu:LiKB4O7) single crystal for dosimetry applications
- 62 Downloads
This paper describes an investigation of thermoluminescence radiation dosimetry characteristics of Eu:LiKB4O7 single crystal grown from Czochralski technique. The Eu:LiKB4O7 polycrystalline compound was synthesized by standard solid-state reaction method. Phase purity of both crystalline and polycrystalline materials was analyzed by powder X-ray diffraction technique. UV–Vis–NIR spectral analysis was carried out to study the optical characteristics of the grown crystal. Europium ion in the trivalent state in the host LiKB4O7 was confirmed by its characteristic emission at 613 nm due to the 5D0→7F2 transition. The (x, y) color chromaticity coordinates of Eu:LiKB4O7 was found to occur in the orange region of CIE 1931 diagram. The Eu:LiKB4O7 single crystalline samples was–irradiated by a Co-60 source at varying doses, suitable for radiation dosimetry applications, and their thermoluminescence (TL) properties was analyzed. The prominent TL glow peak of the grown crystal appears around 184 °C. The TL intensity increases linearly up to 156 Gy with excellent reusability and the fading was calculated for tenure of 60 days.
The authors wish to thank Dr. G. Baldev Raj, Past President (Research), PSG Institutions, Coimbatore and Dr. B. Venkataraman, Associate Director, RSEG, IGCAR, Kalpakkam for their support and encouragement. Authors are grateful to the University Grants Commission–Department of Atomic Energy–Consortium for Scientific Research (UGC-DAE-CSR), Kalpakkam and Indore, India for awarding with the research project (CSR–KN/CSR–63/2014–2015/503) to carry out the research work.
- 8.V.T. Adamiv, Ya.V. Burak, I.S. Girnyk, I.M. Teslyuk, Ukr. J. Phys. 51, 686–691 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.B.I. Zadneprovski, N.V. Eremin, A.A. Paskhalov, Funct. Mater. 12, 261–268 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.J. Zhang, B. Han, Y. Zhang, Q. Lv, J. Mater. Sci. 27, 3906–3910 (2016)Google Scholar
- 18.M.M. Yawalkar, G.D. Zade, V. Singh, S.J. Dhoble, J. Mater. Sci. 28, 180–189 (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.M. Bohdan Padlyak, B. Grinberg, Y. Kuklinski, O. Oseledchik, D. Smyrnov, Kudryavtcev, Opt. Appl. 2, 413–426 (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.D. Zhao, F.X. Ma, R.J. Zhang, W. Wei, J. Yang, Y.J. Li, J. Mater. Sci. 28, 129–136 (2017)Google Scholar
- 25.K. Suresh Merugu, Jain, J. Innov. Elect. Comm. 4, 1–9 (2014)Google Scholar