Effects of Dy substitution for Sn on the solderability and mechanical property of the standard near eutectic Sn–Ag–Cu alloy
- 90 Downloads
In this study, the solderability of Sn–3.5Ag–0.5Cu–xDy solders were investigated and the shear strength properties of joints with Cu substrate were investigated. The results indicated that a small amount Dy addition can improve the solderability, and the optimal amount of Dy was 0.025 wt%. The maximum shear strength can be found with 0.025 wt% Dy addition, improved by 74%. With the observation of the fracture morphology, it was found that a small amount Dy can improve the ductility of the solder joints; but excessive amount of Dy would deteriorate the shear strength and form large dimples on the fracture surface.
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (51561008). Thanks are given to Miss. Jinzhi Liu for her help during sample preparation.
- 1.J.C. Xu, S.B. Xue, P. Xue, W.M. Long, Q.K. Zhang, Study on microstructure and properties of Sn-0.3Ag-0.7Cu solder bearing Nd. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27(8), 8771–8777 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Wu, S. Xue, J. Wang, J. Wang, S. Liu, Effect of Pr addition on properties and Sn whisker growth of Sn-0.3Ag-0.7Cu low-Ag solder for electronic packaging. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28(14), 10230–10244 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.L.L. Gao, L. Zhang, Z.X. Xiao, W. Dai, F. Ji, H. Ye, G. Zeng, Effect of praseodymium on the microstructure and properties of Sn3.8Ag0.7Cu solder. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 21(9), 910–916 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.L.L. Gao, S.B. Xue, L. Zhang, Z. Sheng, G. Zeng, F. Ji, Effects of trace rare earth Nd addition on microstructure and properties of SnAgCu solder. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 21(7), 643–648 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.H. Hao, Y.W. Shi, Z.D. Xia, Y.P. Lei, Effect of rare earth Er on the microstructure evolution for Sn-3.8Ag-0.7Cu lead-free solder alloy during isothermal aging. Rare Met. Mat. Eng. 37(11), 1938–1941 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.S. Kumar, D. Jung, J.P. Jung, Wetting behavior and elastic properties of low alpha SAC105 and pure Sn solder. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24(6), 1748–1757 (2013)Google Scholar
- 23.R.L. Dekock, H.B. Gray, Chemical Structure and Bonding (University Science Books, Sausalito, 1989)Google Scholar