Effect of thermal cycles on interface and mechanical property of low-Ag Sn1.0Ag0.5Cu(nano-Al)/Cu solder joints
- 17 Downloads
Low-Ag content SnAgCu solder has drawn more and more researchers’ attention due to the low cost. In this paper, the effect of 0.1 wt% nano-Al particles on interface reaction between Sn1.0Ag0.5Cu and Cu substrate was investigated, and the growth of intermetallic compounds (IMC) and mechanical property of solder joints during − 55 to 125 °C thermal cycling were also analyzed. The results show that the Cu6Sn5 IMC formed at the as-soldered interface and grow obviously with the increase of thermal cycling. The growth rate of IMC in the SnAgCu–0.1Al/Cu is lower than that of SnAgCu/Cu, which indicates that the nano-Al particles can inhibit the diffusion coefficient of IMC layers. Moreover, the shear force of two kinds of solder joints decrease during thermal cycling, but the shear force of SnAgCu–0.1Al is higher than that of SnAgCu.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51475220), Six Talent Peaks project in Jiangsu Province (No. XCL022), Qing Lan project and State Key Laboratory of Advanced Brazing Filler Metals & Technology (No. SKLABFMT201503).
- 2.L. Sun, L. Zhang, Properties and microstructures of Sn-Ag-Cu-X lead-free solder joints in electronic packaging. Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2015, 1–16 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Sheng, Prediction on Thermal Fatigue Life & Study on the Reliability of QFP Soldered Joint[D]. (Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.S. Tian, S.P. Li, J. Zhou, P. Xue, R.H. Cao, F.J. Wang, Effect of indium addition on interfacial IMC growth and bending properties of eutectic Sn-0.7Cu solder joints. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28(21), 16120–16132 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.M.N. Wang, J.Q. Wang, H. Feng, K. Wang, Effects of microstructure and temperature on corrosion behavior of Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu lead-free solder. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 23(1), 148–155 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.L. Zhang, J.G. Han, C.W. He, Y.H. Guo, Reliability behavior of lead-free solder joints in electronic components. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24(1), 172–190 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.C.D. Zou, Y.L. Gao, B. Yang, Q.J. Zhai, Nanoparticles of Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu alloy synthesized at room temperature with large melting temperature depression. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 23(1), 2–7 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Liu, F.L. Sun, H.W. Zhang, P.F. Zou, Solderability, IMC evolution, and shear behavior of low-Ag Sn0.7Ag0.5Cu-BiNi/Cu solder joint. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 23(9), 1705–1710 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.L. Sun, L. Zhang, L. Xu, S.J. Zhong, J. Ma, L. Bao, Effect of nano-Al addition on properties and microstructure of low-Ag-content Sn-1Ag-0.5Cu solders. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27(7), 7665–7673 (2016)Google Scholar