Functional properties of LaxCe1−xO2−δ nanocrystals and their bulk ceramics
- 29 Downloads
Structure–property correlations were investigated for LaxCe1−xO2−δ (x = 0.05, 0.15) system (for both nanoparticles and ceramic). The nanoparticles were synthesized by the co-precipitation route and characterized for their structural, catalytic and visible light driven photocatalytic properties. Synthesised LaxCe1−xO2−δ nanopowders depicted phase purity with excellent compositional control as confirmed by various structural characterisation tools. The 15% La3+-doped ceria nanoparticles portrayed superior photocatalytic properties; complete degradation (99%) of the methylene blue dye was observed within 60 min of visible light irradiation under an alkaline medium. High density (> 96%) of the ceramics (sintered at 1580 °C for 2 h) confirmed promising sinterability of the synthesised powders. The ionic conductivities of the LaxCe1−xO2−δ ceramics increased with temperature and frequency owing to enhanced oxygen vacancies in the ceria matrix as a result of doping (of La3+-ions); a maximum conductivity of ~ 8.4 × 10−2 S cm−1 was obtained at 900 °C for the 15% La3+-doped ceria ceramics at 1 MHz frequency.
Saurabh Srivastava was thankful to Indian Institute of Technology Patna, India, for the financial assistance. The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from DST-SERB, Government of India, Grant No. SB/FTP/ETA-0160/2014.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest to this work.
- 4.M. Rahimi-Nasrabadi, M. Behpour, A. Sobhani-Nasab, M.R. Jeddy, Nanocrystalline Ce-doped copper ferrite: synthesis, characterization, and its photocatalyst application. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27, 11691–11697 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.K. Singh, K. Kumar, S. Srivastava, A. Chowdhury, Effect of rare-earth doping in CeO2 matrix: correlations with structure, catalytic and visible light photocatalytic properties. Ceram. Int. 43, 17041–17047 (2017)Google Scholar
- 24.F. Sedighi, M. Esmaeili-Zare, A. Sobhani-Nasab, M. Behpour, Synthesis and characterization of CuWO4 nanoparticle and CuWO4/NiO nanocomposite using co-precipitation method; application in photodegradation of organic dye in water. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 29, 13737–13745 (2018)Google Scholar
- 43.D.K. Pradhan, R. Choudhary, B. Samantaray, Studies of dielectric relaxation and AC conductivity behavior of plasticized polymer nanocomposite electrolytes. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 3, 597–608 (2008)Google Scholar
- 51.H. Yamamura, E. Katoh, M. Ichikawa, K. Kakinuma, T. Mori, H. Haneda, Multiple doping effect on the electrical conductivity in the (Ce(1−xy)La(x)M(y))O2−delta (M = Ca, Sr) system. Electrochemistry 68, 455–459 (2000)Google Scholar