Engineering an aptamer-based recognition sensor for electrochemical opium alkaloid biosensing
- 28 Downloads
Here we propose an electrochemical aptamer-based sensing strategy for sensitive detection of the codeine (COD). Platform construction was started by decoration NH2-functionalized Fe3O4 with gold nanoparticles (Fe3O4/AuNPs). Carbon nanotubes were then placed on a glassy carbon electrode and decorated with the Fe3O4/AuNPs to serve as a signal amplifier (Fe3O4/AuNPs/CNTs/GC). The proposed nanoaptasensor integrated the merits of the deposition of Fe3O4/AuNPs and CNTs and the covalent attachment of the detection probe at the surface of platform. In this concept, COD was captured at the surface of sensing interface due to the specific binding of aptamer and COD, which led to COD detection. The long tunnels on modified electrode surface were formed owning to the attachment of COD-aptamer at the surface of sensor, while aptamer acted as gate of the tunnels. The change in conformation of aptamer upon target binding caused the closure of aptamer gate. Coupling the “Off–On” electrochemical switching properties of the aptamer modified electrode with inherent capabilities of nanocomposite led to high sensitivity, simplicity, stability and reproducibility of aptasensor. The assay has a 3.2 pM detection limit, and the response is linear up to 900 nM concentration of COD.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of this work by the Khorramabad Branch, Islamic Azad University for financial support.
- 5.H. Andresen, A. Schmoldt, Does the consumption of poppy seeds lead to positive opiate-test results in urine, blood and hair? Blutalkohol 41, 191–202 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.M.H. Pournaghi-Azar, A. Saadatirad, Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, ascorbic acid and codeine by differential pulse voltammetry on the aluminum electrode modified by thin layer of palladium. Electroanalysis 22, 1592–1598 (2010)Google Scholar
- 21.S.D. Jayasena, Aptamers: an emerging class of molecules that rival antibodies in diagnostics. Clin. Chem. 45, 1628–1650 (1999)Google Scholar
- 35.A.M. Santos, T.A. Silva, F.C. Vicentini, O.F. Filho, Flow injection analysis system with electrochemical detection for the simultaneous determination of nanomolar levels of acetaminophen and codeine. Arab. J. Chem. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2017.04.012
- 38.A. Afkhami, H. Khoshsafar, H. Bagheri, T. Madrakian, Facile simultaneous electrochemical determination of codeine and acetaminophen in pharmaceutical samples and biological fluids by graphene–CoFe2O4 nancomposite modified carbon paste electrode. Sens. Actuat. B, 20, 3909–3918 (2014)Google Scholar