Increase of antimicrobial and photocatalytic properties of silver-doped PbS obtained by sonochemical method
- 73 Downloads
In this work, pure PbS powders doped with silver were obtained in the proportions of 1, 2, 4 and 8 mol% by sonochemical method. Powders were characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD), field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM), UV–Vis spectroscopy (UV–Vis) and EPR analysis. The photocatalytic properties were estimated by degradation of methylene blue dye. The antimicrobial properties were studied by the formation of inhibition halos against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria and Candida albicans yeast. XRD patterns show that PbS, with a cubic structure, was obtained without the formation of secondary phases. FE-SEM analysis indicates loss of the cubic aspect of PbS samples as the Ag+ concentration increases and particle size reduces. The defects generated by the substitution of Pb2+ by Ag+ increase the photocatalytic activity, where PbS and P8A samples reduced by 25% and 68%, respectively, the MB concentration and significantly increased the antimicrobial activity against E. coli and S. aureus bacteria and C. albicans yeast.
The authors thank the financial support of the Brazilian research financing institutions: CNPq. No 307546/2014-4 and CAPES/PROCAD 2013/2998/2014.
- 2.M.B. Askari, Z. Tavakoli Banizi, M. Seifi, S. Bagheri Dehaghi, P. Veisi, Synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles and decorated multi-wall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) with anatase TiO2 nanoparticles and study of optical properties and structural characterization of TiO2/MWCNT nanocomposite. Optik 149, 447–454 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.C.A. Demarchi, A. Bella Cruz, A. Ślawska-Waniewska, N. Nedelko, P. Dłużewski, A. Kaleta, J. Trzciński, J.D. Magro, J. Scapinello, C.A. Rodrigues, Synthesis of Ag@Fe2O3 nanocomposite based on O-carboxymethylchitosan with antimicrobial activity. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 107, 42–51 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.N.F.A. Neto, L.M.P. Garcia, E. Longo, M.S. Li, C.A. Paskocimas, M.R.D. Bomio, F.V. Motta, Photoluminescence and photocatalytic properties of Ag/AgCl synthesized by sonochemistry: statistical experimental design. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 12273–12281 (2017)Google Scholar
- 24.L. Hu, Z. Zhang, R.J. Patterson, Y. Hu, W. Chen, C. Chen, D. Li, C. Hu, C. Ge, Z. Chen, L. Yuan, C. Yan, N. Song, Z.L. Teh, G.J. Conibeer, J. Tang, S. Huang, Achieving high-performance PbS quantum dot solar cells by improving hole extraction through Ag doping. Nano Energy 46, 212–219 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 54.A.V. Badarinath, K. Mallikarjuna Rao, C. Madhu Sudhana Chetty, S. Ramkanth, T.V.S. Rajan, K. Gnanaprakash, A review on In-vitro antioxidant methods: comparisions, correlations and considerations. Int. J. PharmTech Res. 2, 1276–1285 (2010)Google Scholar
- 58.N.M. Franklin, N.J. Rogers, S.C. Apte, G.E. Batley, G.E. Gadd, P.S. Casey, Comparative toxicity of nanoparticulate ZnO, Bulk ZnO, and ZnCl2 to a freshwater microalga (Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata): the importance of particle solubility. Environ. Sci. Technol. 41, 8484–8490 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar