Micromorphology investigation of GaAs solar cells: case study on statistical surface roughness parameters
The purpose of this work is surface characterization of GaAs solar cell using atomic force microscopy. The surface appearance influences the optical properties of the cells. It impacts light trapping and consequently affect the efficiency of the solar cells. In case of nano-structural surface, the properties are strongly depends on its geometrical characteristics. Surface appearance was studied by atomic force microscopy (AFM). Fractal analysis was done by the triangulation method and evaluation of statistical metrics was carrying out on the basis of AFM-data, before and after heating. The results of fractal analysis show the correlation of fractal dimension and statistical characteristics of surface topography. Characterization technique and data processing methodology are essential for description of the surface condition.
Research described in the paper was financially supported by Internal Grant Agency of Brno University of Technology, grant No. FEKT-S-17-4626, by project Sensor, Information and Communication Systems SIX CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0072 and by the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic under no. GACR 15-05259S.
Complaince with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors claim to have no financial interest, either directly or indirectly, in the products or information listed in the article. The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of the paper.
- 1.L. Dejam, S.M. Elahi, H.H. Nazari, H. Elahi, S. Solaymani, A. Ghaderi, Structural and optical characterization of ZnO and AZO thin films: the influence of post-annealing. J. Mater. Sci.27, 685–696 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.M. Molamohammadi, C. Luna, A. Arman, S. Solaymani, A. Boochani, A. Ahmadpourian, A. Shafiekhani, Preparation and magnetoresistance behavior of nickel nanoparticles embedded in hydrogenated carbon film. J Mater Sci 26, 6814–6818 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Roughness of solar cells. Available at: http://www.nanosurf.com/upload/appnote/100539_an00288_solar_cell_roughness.pdf. Accessed 31 Mar 2017
- 8.Ultrafast Laser Texturing for Enhanced Solar Cell Performance and Lower Cost. Available at: http://sionyx.com/pdf/solarcellperformancewhitepaper.pdf. Accessed 31 Mar 2017
- 23.Ş. Ţălu,, Micro and nanoscale characterization of three dimensional surfaces. Basics and Applications., ISBN 978-606-690-349-3 (Napoca Star Publishing House, Cluj-Napoca, 2015)Google Scholar
- 27.Ş. Ţălu, S. Stach, J. Zaharieva, M. Milanova, D. Todorovsky, S. Giovanzana, Surface roughness characterization of poly(methylmethacrylate) films with immobilized Eu(III) β-Diketonates by fractal analysis. Int. J. Polym. Anal. Charact. 19, 404–421 (2014). doi: 10.1080/1023666X.2014.904149 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Ş. Ţălu, A.J. Ghazai, S. Stach, A. Hassan, Z. Hassan, M. Ţălu, Characterization of surface roughness of Pt Schottky contacts on quaternary n-Al0.08In0.08Ga0.84N thin film assessed by atomic force microscopy and fractal analysis. J. Mater. Sci. 25, 466–477 (2014). doi: 10.1007/s10854-013-1611-6 Google Scholar
- 32.N. Naseri, S. Solaymani, A. Ghaderi, M. Bramowicz, S. Kulesza, Ş. Ţălu,, M. Pourreza, S. Ghasemi, Microstructure, morphology and electrochemical properties of Co nanoflake water oxidation electrocatalyst at micro-and nanoscale. RSC Adv. 7, 12923–12930 (2017). doi: 10.1039/c6ra28795f CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.A. Arman, T. Ghodselahi, M. Molamohammadi, S. Solayani, H. Zahrabi, A. Ahmadpourian, Phys. Chem. Surf. 51, 575–578 (2015)Google Scholar
- 37.N. Begum, A.S. Bhatti, F. Jabeen, S. Rubini, F. MARTELLI, in Phonon Confinement Effect in III-V Nanowires, ed. by P. Prete ed. (Intech, Rijeka, 2010)), p. 258Google Scholar
- 38.Gwyddion 2.37 software (Copyright © 2004–2007, 2009–2014 Petr Klapetek, David Nečas, Christopher Anderson). Available from: http://gwyddion.net. Accessed 10th June 2017