Impact of tunneling conductance on the performance of multi walled carbon nanotubes as VLSI interconnects for nano-scaled technology nodes
- 183 Downloads
Multi walled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) has received most of the attention for their unique characteristics as a possible alternative for copper as a VLSI interconnects for future integrated circuits. Multiple equivalent single-conductor circuit (ESC) models are reported in the literature for analysis of MWCNT as an interconnect, however most of them have neglected the impact of intershell tunneling conductance on the performance of MWCNT as interconnect. In this paper, a model is proposed for deriving equivalent impedance parameters by including tunneling conductance in order to study the impact of intershell tunneling conductance on the performance of MWCNT interconnect in terms of delay. Based on the derived equivalent impedance parameters, existing ESC model is modified. Further, the analytical and simulated results obtained from proposed model are compared with the results of existing models. It is revealed from the comparative analysis that the tunneling conductance has considerable impact on the impedance parameters and the propagation delay of an MWCNT bundle interconnect at variable interconnects length for nano-scaled technology nodes i.e. 32, 22 and 16 nm.
KeywordsPropagation Delay Impedance Parameter Equivalent Resistance Mean Free Path Technology Node
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 13.M. Tang, J. Lu, J. Mao, Study on equivalent single conductor model of multi-walled carbon nanotube interconnects, in 2012 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings IEEE pp. 1247–1249 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.M. Sahoo, H. Rahaman, Performance analysis of multiwalled carbon nanotube bundles, in Electronics and Nanotechnology (ELNANO) IEEE XXXIII International Scientific Conference IEEE pp. 200–204 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (2013) [Online]. http://public.itrs.net/
- 17.K. Singh, B. Raj, Influence of temperature on MWCNT bundle, SWCNT bundle and copper interconnects for nanoscaled technology nodes. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26(8), 6134–6142 (2015)Google Scholar
- 21.Predictive technology model (PTM). [Online]. http://ptm.asu.edu/