Crystal structure and magnetism of BiFeO3 nanoparticles regulated by rare-earth Tb substitution
- 293 Downloads
Tb-doped BiFeO3 nanoparticles were prepared using sol–gel method. The effect of Tb substitution on crystal structure and magnetism of BiFeO3 nanoparticles were investigated. It is shown that the crystal structure and magnetism of BiFeO3 nanoparticles are regulated by rare-earth Tb substitution. Particularly, the sizes of the particles are reduced to smaller than 100 nm after doping with Tb. The magnetization of Tb-doped BiFeO3 nanoparticles has been enhanced in magnitude, which is mainly attributed to the suppression of spin cycloid structure belonging to R3c phase fraction in the process of rhombohedral-to-orthorhombic structural phase transformations. At the meantime, the magnetic hysteresis loops show exchange bias towards negative axis. The exchange bias behaviors originate from the coupling interaction between antiferromagnetic core and ferromagnetic surface. The present work provides a route regulating the magnetization of BiFeO3 particles as well as further promoting its applications in multiferroic materials.
KeywordsBiFeO3 Rietveld Refinement Physical Property Measurement System Pure BiFeO3 BiFeO3 Nanoparticles
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11264026, 11564028), and Inner Mongolia Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars (Grant No. 2014JQ01).
- 1.F.Z. Huang, Z.J. Wang, X.M. Lu, J.T. Zhang, K.L. Min, W.W. Lin, R.X. Ti, T.T. Xu, J. He, C. Yue, J.S. Zhu, Peculiar magnetism of BiFeO3 nanoparticles with size approaching the period of the spiral spin structure. Sci. Rep. 3, 2907 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.G. Tian, F.Y. Zhang, J.X. Yao, H. Fan, P.L. Li, Z.W. Li, X. Song, X.Y. Zhang, M.H. Qin, M. Zeng, Z. Zhang, J.J. Yao, X.S. Gao, J.M. Liu, Magnetoelectric coupling in well-ordered epitaxial BiFeO3/CoFe2O4/SrRuO3 heterostructured nanodot array. ACS Nano 2016, 10 (1025)Google Scholar
- 11.X.G. Huang, J. Zhang, Z.H. Liu, T.Y. Sang, B. Song, H.L. Zhu, C.P. Wong, Facile preparation and microwave absorption properties of porous hollow BaFe12O19/CoFe2O4 composite microrods. J. Alloys Compd. 2015, 648 (1072)Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Deng, D. Wu, Q. Chen, Y.W. Du, Synthesis, microstructure, magnetic properties and Raman scattering of single-crystalline BiFeO3 nanorods prepared by hydrothermal technique. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 6, 370 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Wang, C.W. Nan, Effect of Tb doping on electric and magnetic behavior of BiFeO3 thin films. J. Appl. Phys. 103, 4103 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.M. Gowrishankar, D.R. Babu, S. Madeswaran, Effect of Gd–Ti co-substitution on structural, magnetic and electrical properties of multiferroic BiFeO3. J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 3, 085 (2016)Google Scholar