Influence of latent heat released from solder joints on the reflow temperature profile
- 154 Downloads
The reflow process of SAC305 solder paste was investigated by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and measurement of the temperature profiles in a real continual convection reflow furnace. Melting and solidification processes of two solder joints were investigated by both methods to determine the influence of latent heat on the surrounding temperature. While one peak was present during melting in DSC, two peaks were present during solidification of two joints connected by a resistor. The released latent heat from one joint increased the temperature of the surroundings and delayed the solidification process of the second joint. Analysis of the temperature profiles obtained during the reflow processes in a real furnace shows that latent heat influences the surrounding temperature not only during the phase transformation, but also during the whole following passage of the sample in the furnace. The maximum temperature increase of the joint is substantial: 25 mg of the solder paste increases the joint temperature by about 15 °C. When two joints are placed on the sample the temperature increase is close to 20 °C.
KeywordsDifferential Scanning Calorimetry Latent Heat Solder Joint Print Circuit Board Solder Alloy
This work was supported by the Grant Agency of the Czech Technical University in Prague, Grant No. SGS15/196/OHK3/3T/13. Experiments have been performed in the Magnetism and Low Temperature Laboratories (http://mltl.eu/) within the program of the Czech Research Infrastructures (LM 2011025).
- 2.H. T. Ming, T. K. Ming, L. Khor, in Electron. Manuf. Technol. Symp. IEMT 2010 34th IEEECPMT Int. (2010), pp. 1–5Google Scholar
- 7.N.-C. Lee, in Electron. Packag. Technol. Conf. 2009 EPTC 09 11th (2009), pp. 76–81Google Scholar
- 11.A. Baated, K.-S. Kim, K. Suganuma, S. Huang, B. Jurcik, S. Nozawa, M. Ueshima, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 21, 1066 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.D.R. Frear, S.N. Burchett, H.S. Morgan, Mechanics of Solder Alloy Interconnects (Springer, Berlin, 1994)Google Scholar
- 15.L. Livovsky, A. Pietrikova, J. Durisin, in 31st Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. 2008 ISSE 08 (2008), pp. 667–669Google Scholar
- 17.P. Schnederle, M. Adamek, I. Szendiuch, in 2012 35th Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. ISSE (2012), pp. 201–206Google Scholar
- 18.K. Dusek, J. Vavra, A. Rudajevova, in 2013 36th Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. ISSE (2013), pp. 136–139Google Scholar
- 19.A. Pietrikova, L. Livovsky, J. Urbancik, R. Bucko, in 29th Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. 2006 ISSE 06 (2006), pp. 459–464Google Scholar
- 20.B. Illes, O. Krammer, G. Harsanyi, Z. Illyefalvi-Vitez, in 29th Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. 2006 ISSE 06 (2006), pp. 80–85Google Scholar
- 25.T. Garami, N. Reti, O. Krammer, in Proc. 2014 37th Int. Spring Semin. Electron. Technol. ISSE (2014), pp. 402–406Google Scholar
- 27.J.-C. Zhao, Methods for Phase Diagram Determination (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2011)Google Scholar