Influence of temperature on MWCNT bundle, SWCNT bundle and copper interconnects for nanoscaled technology nodes
- 166 Downloads
This paper presents the comparative analysis of temperature dependent performance of Multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT), Single-walled carbon nanotube (SWCNT) and copper interconnects for nanoscaled technology nodes. The temperature dependent impedance circuit model is proposed for MWCNT bundle interconnects. The proposed model for MWCNT bundle shows the various electron–phonon scattering mechanisms dependency as a function of temperature. The performance in terms of propagation delay, power dissipation and power delay product for MWCNT bundle interconnects is simulated on the basis of temperature dependent electrical parameters for global interconnects at three different technology nodes viz. 32, 22 and 16 nm for temperature range 200 to 450 K. A similar analysis is performed for SWCNT bundle and copper interconnects and results are compared with the MWCNT bundle interconnects. The comparative results revealed that the performance of MWCNT bundle interconnects is better than the performance of SWCNT bundle and copper interconnects at different temperature ranging from 200 to 450 K for 32, 22 and 16 nm technology nodes at global interconnects.
KeywordsMean Free Path Technology Node Quantum Capacitance Integrate Circuit Temperature Dependent Impedance
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.K. Banerjee, N. Srivastava, Are carbon nanotubes the future of VLSI interconnections?. in Proceedings of Design Automation Conference, pp. 809–814 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Q. Jiang, Y. Zhao, X.Y. Lu, Q. Zhan, Y. L. Zhou, Effects of activation temperature on the electrochemical capacitance of activated carbon nanotubes. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. doi: 10.1007/s10854-006-7473-4
- 11.E. Pop, D. Mann, J. Reifenberg, K. Goodson, H. Dai, Electro-thermal transport in metalic single-wall carbon nanotubes for interconnect application. in Technical Digest of IEEE International Electron device meeting 2005 IEDM, pp. 254–256 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.A.G. Chiarillo, G. Miano, A. Maffucci, Size and temperature on resistance of copper and carbon nanotubes nano-interconnects. IEEE Electron Devices Lett. 55(6), 97–100 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.M. Sahoo, H. Rahaman, Performance analysis of multiwalled carbon nanotube bundles. in IEEE XXXIII International Scientific Conference Electronics and Nanotechnology (ELNANO), pp. 200–203 (2013)Google Scholar
- 22.ITRS, International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor, Edition (2013) http://public.itrs.net
- 24.Predictive technology model. www.ptm.asu.edu