Study on CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles based dye sensitized solar cell
- 371 Downloads
Dye sensitized solar cells (DSSCs) have been fabricated using ZnO and CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles. The effect of CaCO3 coating on the performance of DSSC has been investigated. CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles have been synthesized by hydrothermal method. X-ray diffraction patterns of synthesized nanoparticles reveal that the ZnO and CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles have respectively wurtzite and rhomb-centred structure and both having hexagonal phase. Transmission electron microscopy study reveal that ZnO and CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles possess spherical symmetry and have average particle size respectively 6.2 and 6.7 nm. In case of CaCO3/ZnO nanoparticles, the quenching in photoluminescence emission intensity has been attributed to the decrease in recombination rate of photo-generated electron–hole pairs. UV–Vis absorption spectra, confirms that the electrodes fabricated from the CaCO3-coated ZnO nanoparticles have higher absorbance that shows their higher dye adsorbing power. The use of CaCO3 coating has been found to enhance the efficiency of DSSC by over 100 %.
KeywordsCaCO3 Zinc Acetate Hexachloroplatinic Acid Tetrabutylammonium Iodide Electron Injection Efficiency
The authors are grateful to the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the research funding vide sanction letter no. F. No. 39-533/2010 (SR) dated January 7, 2011.
Conflict of interest
We hereby declare that we have no conflict of interest.
- 13.M. Kaur, N. K. Verma, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. DOI 10.1007/s10854-013-1293-0, (2013)
- 17.B.R. Rehani, P.B. Joshi, K.N. Lad, A. Pratap, Indian J Pure Appl. Phy. 44, 157 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Y. Li, Y.L. Zou, Mater. Sci.Pol. 28, 741 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Y. Liu, L. Luo, G. Chen, M. Xie, Z. Yu, Iran. Polym. J. 19(3), 207 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.J.S. Ghomi, M.A. Ghasemzadeh, S. Zahedi, J. Mex. Chem. Soc. 57(1), 1–7 (2013)Google Scholar
- 23.S. K. Mishra, R. K. Srivastava, S. G. Prakash, R. S. Yadav, A. C. Panday Opto–Electronics Review 18(4), 467 (2010)Google Scholar
- 24.A.K. Srivastava, Praveen, M. Arora, S.K. Gupta, B.R. Chakraborty, S. Chandra, S. Toyoda, H. Bahadur, J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 26, 11–986 (2010)Google Scholar