EXAFS investigation of iron local environment in metal-doped titania photocatalysts prepared by hydrothermal and high-energy ball milling routes
Iron local environment was investigated by EXAFS in Fe- and (Fe, Eu)-doped TiO2 photocatalysts, prepared by hydrothermal and high-energy ball milling (HEBM) routes. In the case of the hydrothermal samples, the substitution of Ti4+ by Fe3+ ions was evidenced. For the samples prepared by HEBM, the iron environment corresponds to mixed metallic and oxidized (FeO, α-Fe2O3) configurations, without a clear evidence of iron incorporation into the TiO2 lattice. This could be related to the catalyst contamination by iron microparticles detached from the balls during milling process.
KeywordsTiO2 TiO2 Lattice Neighbouring Shell Iron Incorporation Dope TiO2 Photocatalysts
This work was supported by the Romanian Ministry of Education and Research through Contract CEEX-Matnantech No. 23/2005. EXAFS experiments were possible through the long-term Hasylab project II-05-058. We acknowledge qualified support of Dr. Edmund Welter and Dr. Dariusz Zajac from the Hasylab staff, and scientific cooperation of Prof. Eberhardt Burkel from the University of Rostock. The authors greatly acknowledge Dr. Tarabasanu-Mihaila Doina for synthesis of the hydrothermal samples.
- 7.M. Iu. Antipin, V.G. Tsirelson, M.P. Flugge, R.G. Gerr, Iu.T. Struchkov, R.P. Ozerov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 281, 854 (1985)Google Scholar
- 8.C.J. Howard, T.M. Sabine, F. Dickson, Acta Cryst. B47, 462 (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.B.A. Wechsler, C.T. Prewitt, Am. Mineral. 69, 176 (1984)Google Scholar
- 10.A.W. Glenn, Rev. Mineral. 25, 38 (1991)Google Scholar
- 15.L. Diamandescu, F. Vasiliu, A.M. Vlaicu, C.M. Teodorescu, D.Tarabasanu-Mihaila, M. Feder, in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference of the European Ceramic Society (ECERS), Berlin (2007), in pressGoogle Scholar