A thermal processing map of a ZrCuNiAlEr bulk metallic glass in the supercooled liquid region
- 8 Downloads
Thermal compression tests of (Zr0.6336Cu0.1452Ni0.1012Al0.12)97.4Er2.6 bulk metallic glass (BMG) were performed at temperature of 410, 420, 430 and 440 °C and strain rates of 5 × 10−4, 10−3, 5 × 10−3 and 10−2 s−1, and a thermal processing map was constructed in the supercooled liquid region. The results indicate that in low strain rate regions (5 × 10−4–10−3 s−1), the processing efficiency range is 70–85% and stress range is 70–120 MPa with temperatures of 410 and 420 °C, and the samples can be thermally processed under relatively small stress and show better fluidity, so temperatures of 410 and 420 °C and the strain rate range of 5 × 10−4–10−3 s−1 are optional thermal processing parameters. When the temperature is 430 °C and the strain rate range is 5 × 10−4–10−2 s−1, the processing efficiency range is 75–85%, and the stress range is 16–106 MPa. The (Zr0.6336Cu0.1452Ni0.1012Al0.12)97.4Er2.6 BMG can be thermoformed under smaller flow stress and shows excellent fluidity; therefore, 430 °C and 5 × 10−4–10−2 s−1 also are optional thermal processing parameters.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51661016, 51861021, 51571105, 51661017), Wenzhou Public Welfare Science and Technology Project (G20170019) and the Natural Science Foundation of Gansu Province (Grant No. 145RJZA090).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Shan D, Shi K, Xu W (2009) Hot deformation mechanism and processing map of TC11 alloy. Rare Met Mater Eng 38:632–636Google Scholar
- 3.Chao CQ, Huang BY, He YH (1998) Effect of alloying on properties of TiAl-based alloy and mechanisms. Chin J Nonferrous Met 08:11–17Google Scholar
- 4.Fan YG, Wang LY (2005) Instability flow characteristics of AZ31 magnesium alloy at moderate temperature. Chin J Nonferrous Met 15:1602–1606Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou J, Zeng WD, Shu Y (2006) Study on globularization of lamellar α structure in TC17 titanium alloy during hot deformation using processing map. Rare Met Mater Eng 35:265–269Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang ZH, Liu XH, Zhou C (2004) Superplastic forming properties of Zr-based bulk amorphous alloys. Chin J Nonferrous Met 14:1073–1077Google Scholar
- 11.Li CY, Kou SZ, Zhao YC, Cao J, Yuan ZZ (2012) Large plastic and the size effect for Zr63.36Cu14.52Ni10.12Al12 amorphous alloy. Sci China Press 42:571–576Google Scholar
- 12.Li CY, Kou SZ, Zhao YC, Yuan XP, Yuan ZZ (2015) Mechanical properties of Zr-based bulk metallic glasses with different Al contents. Chin J Rare Met 39:300–307Google Scholar
- 15.Zhao YC, Kou SZ, Li CY (2012) Study on microstructure and mechanical abilities of Ti66.7Ni20Cu13.3 bulk metallic glass. Funct Mater 23:2273–2276Google Scholar
- 18.Wang LY, Fan YG, Huang GS (2004) Plastic deformation at elevated temperature and processing map of magnesium alloy. Chin J Nonferrous Met 14:1068–1072Google Scholar