Synthesis and characterization of PLD glass phosphate films doped with CdS
- 398 Downloads
In the present work, optical, structural and morphological properties of CdS-doped phosphate films obtained by pulsed laser deposition (PLD) method were investigated. In the deposition process, a target based on a mixture composed of Li2O-Al2O3-BaO-La2O3-ZnO-P2O5 glass and CdS powder as dopant was used. The phosphate glass target was obtained by non-conventional wet route of raw reagents processing followed by melt-quenching technique. The complex oxide composition of the glass as well as the final PLD target consisting in a mixture of glass and CdS powder followed by pressing and heat treatment represents the novelty of the work. CdS dopant particles were highlighted by X-ray diffraction analysis as well as by Raman spectroscopy. Thus, cubic CdS particles having less than 10 nm size corroborated with specific LO (longitudinal optical phonons) and 2LO CdS Raman peaks from 300 and 600 cm−1, respectively, certified the presence of the dopant in the deposited films. Specific vibration modes for the vitreous phosphate matrix were revealed by fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, and spherulitic units characteristic to PLD technique were found by scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy analyses. A relative large luminescence band located around 430 nm was provided by UV excitation, representative for CdS nanoparticles having about 9–10 nm size.
The authors are grateful to UEFISCDI (Executive Unity for Financing of Higher Education, Research and Innovation) for the financial support in the frame of the projects 51/2011 Ideas-Program, and SEM analyses on samples were possible due to EU-funding Grant POSCCE-A2-O2.2.1-2013-1/Priority direction 2, Project No.638/12.c03.2014, cod SMIS-CSrNR 48652.
- 4.Acharya KP, Skuza JR, Lukaszew RA, Liyanage C, Ullrich B (2007) CdS thin films formed on flexible plastic substrates by pulsed-laser deposition. J Phys: Condens Matter 19(19):196221Google Scholar
- 7.Feraru I, Iordanescu R, Elisa M, Vasiliu C, Volceanov A, Stoleriu S, Peretz A, Filipescu M (2013) CdSe-doped phosphate glassy films obtained by PLD on silicon substrate. Chalcogenide Lett. 10:509Google Scholar
- 10.Rao MC (2013) Growth of metal oxide thin films by Pulsed laser deposition perspectives of pulsed laser ablation mechanism. J Chem Biol Phy Sci 3(2):1412–1424Google Scholar
- 14.Wang H, Zhu Y, Ong PP (2002) Effect of substrate temperature on the formation of CdO composite in CdS-doped SiO2 films as deposited by PLD. J Cryst Growth 241(1–2):183–188Google Scholar
- 15.Scherrer P (1918) Determination of the size and internal structure of colloidal particles using X-rays. Nachr Ges Wiss Gőttingen Math-Phys Kl 2:98Google Scholar
- 18.Thambiduraia M, Murugan N, Muthukumarasamy N, Vedanta S, Balasundaraprabhu R, Agilana S (2009) Preparation and characterization of nanocrystalline CdS thin films. Chalcogenide Lett 6(4):171–179Google Scholar