Preparation of antistatic and antimicrobial polyethylene by incorporating of comb-like ionenes
The comb-like ionenes with aliphatic side chains were prepared and blended with a low density polyethylene (LDPE) for enhancing the antistatic and antimicrobial properties. The resulting blends were well characterized, particularly based on the surface resistivity (ρs) which revealed the antistatic properties of LDPE/ionene blends. The results showed that the values of ρs decreased 1–5 orders of magnitude after the ionenes were added. Various influencing factors on ρs, including ionene structures, ionene content, and humidity were investigated in detail. Furthermore, the surface and inner structures of resulting blends were characterized by ATR-FTIR and SEM along with water contact angle measurements. The antimicrobial activities of the ionenes and the blended sheets were assessed based on the minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) values against E. coli and the growth inhibition of E. coli determined by means of a membrane adhering-colony counting method. The results indicated that the ionene with 4-carbon side chains had the lowest MIC value (7.8 μg/mL) and the corresponding blend reached 99.9 % of growth inhibition.
KeywordsMinimal Inhibitory Concentration Ionenes Water Contact Angle LDPE Antimicrobial Property
The research was supported by the Sentinel-Bioactive Paper Network (NSERC Canada), Shanghai Leading Academic Discipline Project (B502), and Shanghai Key Laboratory Project (08DZ2230500).
- 1.Thompson SL (1998) EE-Eval Eng 37:62Google Scholar
- 9.Jin HK, Jae MJ, Sultana T (2010) Mol Cryst Liq Cryst 532:449Google Scholar
- 13.Hausmann K (2002) Plast Addit Compd: 32Google Scholar
- 16.Sanchez-Valdes S, Ortega-Ortiz H, Valle LFRD (2009) J Appl Polym Sci 111:953Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang W, Zhang YH, Ji JH (2007) J Biomed Mater Res A 83:838Google Scholar
- 37.Zhao ZQ, Chen XL (2006) The technology application of the conductive and antistatic polymer materials. China Textile and Apparel Press, Beijing, pp 163–196Google Scholar