Investigating the vibration damping behavior of barium titanate (BaTiO3) ceramics for use as a high damping reinforcement in metal matrix composites
- 335 Downloads
We have examined factors that affect the vibration damping behavior of the ferroelectric ceramic barium titanate (BaTiO3) by measuring its low frequency (0.1–10 Hz) damping loss coefficient (tan δ) using dynamic mechanical analysis. In monolithic BaTiO3, tan δ was found to increase with temperature up its Curie temperature (T C), beyond which the damping capability exhibited a sharp drop. The abrupt drop as temperatures increase beyond T C has been attributed to the disappearance of ferroelastic domains as the crystallographic structure of BaTiO3 transforms from tetragonal to cubic. At temperatures below T C, the damping coefficient is further shown to increase with decreasing frequency of the imposed vibration, and in microstructures with a high degree of tetragonality and large domain densities. Data further indicate that tan δ values tend to decrease with the number of cycles that are imposed; however, initial values can be restored if the material is allowed to age following loading.
KeywordsBaTiO3 Shape Memory Alloy Dynamic Mechanical Analysis Barium Titanate Ferroelectric Ceramic
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of this study by the Army Research Office under Grant No. DAAD19-01-1-0714, Dr. William Mullins, ARO Contract Manager; and the Material Science and Engineering Department at Virginia Tech. The authors also gratefully acknowledge the comments and clarifications provided by Dr. Yongmei Jin, Assistant Professor of MSE at Michigan Tech.
- 9.Hori M, Aoki T, Ohira Y, Yano S (2001) Composites 32:287Google Scholar
- 12.Jaffe B, Cook WR Jr, Jaffe H (1971) Piezoelectric ceramics. Academic Press, London, p 83Google Scholar
- 13.Moulson AJ, Herbert JM (2003) Electroceramics materials properties applications, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 22.Hathaway KB, Clark AE (1993) MRS Bull 18:34Google Scholar
- 25.Barrado M, Lopez GA, No ML, San Juan J (2009) Mater Sci Eng A 521–522:363Google Scholar
- 32.Goff AC, Aning AO, Kampe SL (2004) TMS Lett 1(3):59Google Scholar
- 33.Kampe SL, Aning AO, Schultz JP, Asare TA, Poquette BD (2004) In: Proceedings of the 11th international conference on composites/nano engineering (ICCE-11), Hilton Head, SC, 8–14 August 2004, ICCE, p 657Google Scholar