Fracture behavior of Cu-cored solder joints
- 265 Downloads
Copper-cored solder can be regarded as the next-generation solder for microelectronic semiconductors exposed to harsh operating conditions owing to its excellent sustainability under extreme thermal conditions, e.g., in microelectronic semiconductors used in transportation systems. Cu-cored solder joints with two different coating layers, Sn–3.0Ag and Sn–1.0In, were compared with the baseline Sn–3.0Ag–0.5Cu solder. The fracture strength and failure mode were examined using the high-speed ball-pull and normal-speed shear tests. The Cu-cored solder joint with the Sn–1.0In plating layer exhibited the highest ball-pull and shear strengths. In addition, it showed a much lower percentage of interface fracture between the Cu-core and plating layer than the interface fracture percentage in the Sn–3.0Ag plating layer due to the improved wettability between the Cu-core and Sn–1.0In plating layer.
KeywordsSolder Joint Surface Finish Solder Ball Interface Fracture Plating Layer
This research was supported by 2009 Academic Research & Development Program through Korea Sanhak Foundation. This study was also supported in part by the Priority Research Centers Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2009-0093814). HC also acknowledges support from the research program 2011 of Kookmin University in the Republic of Korea.
- 1.Gee S, Kelkar N, Huang J, Tu KN (2005) In: Proceedings of IPACK2005. ASME InterPACK‘05, San Francisco, p 1313Google Scholar
- 8.Lee JH, Lim GT, Yang ST, Suh MS, Chung QH, Byun KY, Park YB (2008) J Kor Inst Met Mater 46:310Google Scholar
- 10.Sung JY, Pyo SE, Koo JM, Yoon JW, Shin YE, Jung SB (2009) J Kor Inst Met Mater 47:261Google Scholar
- 15.Oh C, Park N, Han C, Bang M, Hong W (2009) J Kor Inst Met Mater 47:500Google Scholar
- 21.Jung DJ, Park DY, Lee JK, Kim HJ, Lee KA (2008) J Kor Inst Met Mater 46:321Google Scholar
- 24.Imae S, Sugitani Y, Nishida M, Kajita O, Takeuchi T (2006) In: Powder metallurgy. Word Congress, Kyoto, p 1207Google Scholar
- 26.Brandes EA, Brook GB (1997) Smithells metals reference book, 7th edn. Butterworth Heinemann, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 40.Davis JR (2001) ASM specialty handbook copper and copper alloys. ASM international, OhioGoogle Scholar