Green corrosion inhibitor from seed extract of Areca catechu for mild steel in hydrochloric acid medium
- 459 Downloads
The adsorption and corrosion inhibition effect of acid extract of the seeds of Areca catechu on mild steel in hydrochloric acid medium were analyzed. Inhibition efficiency and thermodynamic parameters such as energy of activation for corrosion reaction of mild steel (E), heat of adsorption of the inhibitor on the metal surface (Q), change in entropy (∆S), and change in free energy (∆G) were obtained using weight-loss data. The nature of adsorption of the inhibitor on the metal surface was verified by plotting Temkin’s adsorption isotherm. Electrochemical parameters were obtained by AC impedance and Tafel polarization studies. Infrared (IR) spectra and scanning electron microscope techniques were also employed to examine the mechanism of corrosion inhibition property. All the results obtained were encouraging and hence bring to light a new alternate, eco-friendly material for the corrosion inhibition of mild steel in acid medium.
KeywordsCorrosion Rate Mild Steel Inhibition Efficiency Mild Steel Corrosion Reaction
The authors sincerely thank The Director, CECRI, Karaikudi for his kind permission to use lab facilities. Further, the authors are grateful to Dr. S. Muralidharan, Mr. Ravi Shankar, and Mrs. Nalini, CECRI, Karaikudi, Dr. M Shankara Narayana Pillai, Noorul Islam University, Nagercoil and Dr. S. Athimoolam, Anna University, Tirunelveli for rendering their immense support through discussions.
- 12.Hussin MH, Kassim MJ (2010) J Phys Sci 21(1):1Google Scholar
- 15.Ebenso EE, Eddy NO, Odiongenyi AO (2008) Afr J Pure Appl Chem 2(11):107Google Scholar
- 16.Pandian, Raja PB, Sethuraman MG (2009) Iran J Chem Chem Engg 28(1):77Google Scholar
- 17.Muhamath AliBM, Kulanthai Kannan (2009) J Appl Sci Environ Mgt 13:27Google Scholar
- 19.Patel NS, Jauhari S, Mehta GN (2009) e-J Chem 6(S1):89Google Scholar
- 20.Shyamalay M, Arulanantham A (2009) J Mater Sci Technol 25(5):633Google Scholar
- 22.Das C, Gadiyar HS (1993) J Electrochem Soc India 42(4):225Google Scholar
- 26.World Health Organization (2004) IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans 85:44Google Scholar