Cu(II), Co(II) and Ni(II) complexes of –Br and –OCH2CH3 substituted Schiff bases as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium in acidic media
A group of Cu(II), Ni(II) and Co(II) complexes of –Br and –OCH2CH3 substituted Schiff bases as a new class of corrosion inhibitors for aluminium has been studied in 0.1 M HCl by the addition of 10 ppm compound using potentiodynamic polarization, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, linear polarization methods and gas evolution tests at 25 °C. The inhibition efficiencies obtained from all methods employed are in good agreement. Results show Ni(II) complex of –OCH2CH3 substituted Schiff bases was the best inhibitor with a mean efficiency of 69% at 10 ppm additive concentration. The potentiodynamic polarization curves showed both the cathodic and the anodic processes of aluminium corrosion were suppressed, and the Nyquist plots of impedance gave mainly a capacitive loop. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) was done from the surface of the exposed sample indicating uniform film on the surface.
KeywordsSchiff Base Intermolecular Interaction Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Hydrogen Evolution Inhibition Efficiency
The author thanks NTNU inorganic department for their help. This project was supported by TÜBITAK (project no.MAG107M476).
- 1.Pourbaix M (1966) Atlas of electrochemical equilibria in aqueous solutions. Pergamon Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Obot IB, Obi-Egbedi NO (2008) Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 330:207 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Hahner G, Woll Ch, Buck M, Grunze M (1993) Langmuir 9(1):955Google Scholar
- 16.Silverstein RM, Bassler GC, Morrill TC (1981) Spectrophotometric identification of organic compounds, 4th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Nakamoto K (1986) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds, 4th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Cotton FA, Wilkinson G (1972) Advanced inorganic chemistry, 3rd edn. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 21.Lever ABP (1984) Inorganic electronic spectroscopy. Elsevier, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sari N, Aytaç A (2009) Asian J Chem 21:839Google Scholar
- 27.Gojic M, Horvat R, Metikos-Hukovic M (1995) Proceedings of the Eighth European Symposium on Corrosion Inhibitors (8 SEIC), Ann. Univ. Ferrrara, N.S. V, Suppl. N. 10, 1995, p 97Google Scholar