A comparison of results obtained using different methods to assess the elastic properties of ceramic materials exemplified for Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3−δ
- First Online:
Different mechanical testing methods have been used to assess the elastic behavior of the mixed ion electron conducting perovskite Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3−δ (BSCF). Although the main aim is the comparison of the testing techniques for ceramic material in general, experiments have been performed at RT and up to 900 °C to illustrate the capabilities of the utilized methods for a perovskite with a stiffness anomaly. BSCF specimens in disc shape and tubular geometry provided by different suppliers were tested in biaxial bending by ring-on-ring testing and under uniaxial stress in O-ring and under compression loading. The elastic modulus was determined as a function of temperature up to 900 °C. In addition, the room temperature elastic modulus was measured using depth-sensitive indentation.
- 2.ASTM Standard C1499-05 (2005) ASTM International, West Conshohoken, PAGoogle Scholar
- 3.Schmitt RW, Schönbrunn G (1983) Sprechsaal 116:387Google Scholar
- 8.Bouwmeester HJM, Burgraaf AJ (1997) In: Gellings PJ, Bouwmeester HJM (eds) CRC handbook of solid state electrochemistry. CRC Press Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pfaff EM, Zwick M (2008) In: Lara-Curzio E (ed) Mechanical properties and performance of engineering ceramics and composites III, Wiley, USA, 21 pGoogle Scholar
- 14.Pfaff EM, Zwick M (2008) Membrane Summer School. http://www.fz-juelich.de/ief/ief-1/datapool/page/284//Summer_School_2008_Pfaff.pdf