Fracture toughness of zirconia nanoparticle-filled dental composites
- 265 Downloads
The fracture toughness of dental composites containing zirconia nanoparticles dispersed in a bisphenol A glycol dimethacrylate-based monomer blend (GTE) was studied for several yttria contents. Three-point bend test bars with and without a notch were tested at ambient temperature to determine elastic modulus, flexure strength, and fracture toughness. The ZrO2 nanoparticles increased the fracture toughness of the nanocomposites compared to previous results for the matrix and Schott glass-filled nanocomposites. X-ray diffraction analyses revealed mostly tetragonal ZrO2 in the nanocomposites before and after testing, in agreement with a theoretical analysis. The enhancement in fracture toughness in ZrO2-filled nanocomposites was caused mainly by the higher values of particle toughness and interface toughness in GTE/ZrO2 compared to those of GTE/Schott glass nanocomposites.
KeywordsFracture Toughness High Fracture Toughness Crack Deflection Tetragonal ZrO2 Dental Composite
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health through Grant No. P01DE11688. Technical assistance by Mr. D. E. Moravits, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), in fracture testing and clerical assistance by Ms. A. Matthews and Ms. L. Mesa, SwRI, in the preparation of this manuscript is acknowledged.
- 2.Rawls HR, Furman B, Wellinghoff ST, Nicolella D, Dixon H, Ong JL, Park Y-J, Norling GK (2000) J Korean Res Soc Dent Mater 27:3Google Scholar
- 5.Rawls HR, Wellinghoff VT, Norling BK, Leamon SH, Swynnerton NF, Wellinghoff ST (1997) ACS Polym Prepr 38(2):167Google Scholar
- 6.Wellinghoff ST, Dixon H, Nicolella DP, Norling BK, Rawls HR (1998) Metal oxide nanoparticle-polymer composites: structure property relationships, dental, and other applications. In: Fine, ultrafine and nano powders. Business Communication, NorwalkGoogle Scholar
- 17.ASTM E399-90 (1999) Annual book of ASTM standards, vol 03.01. ASTM, West Conshohocken, p 422Google Scholar
- 18.Jossen R, Heine MC, Pratsinis SE, Akhtar MK (2006) CVD J 12:614Google Scholar
- 20.Liu AF (2005) Mechanics and mechanisms of fracture: an introduction. ASM International, Materials Park, p 298Google Scholar
- 23.Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Files, International Center for Diffraction Data, Swarthmore, PA, 1992Google Scholar