Effect of pre- and post-weld heat treatment on metallurgical and tensile properties of Inconel 718 alloy butt joints welded using 4 kW Nd:YAG laser
- 1.4k Downloads
The effects of pre- and post-weld heat treatments on the butt joint quality of 3.18-mm thick Inconel 718 alloy were studied using a 4 kW continuous wave Nd:YAG laser system and 0.89-mm filler wire with the composition of the parent metal. Two pre-weld conditions, i.e., solution treated, or solution treated and aged, were investigated. The welds were then characterized in the as-welded condition and after two post-weld heat treatments: (i) aged, or (ii) solution treated and aged. The welding quality was evaluated in terms of joint geometries, defects, microstructure, hardness, and tensile properties. HAZ liquation cracking is frequently observed in the laser welded Inconel 718 alloy. Inconel 718 alloy can be welded in pre-weld solution treated, or solution treated and aged conditions using high power Nd:YAG laser. Post-weld aging treatment is enough to strengthen the welds and thus post-weld solution treatment is not necessary for strength recovery.
KeywordsWelding Fusion Zone Lave Phase Joint Efficiency Solution Treated Condition
This report is part of the collaborative research Project between IAR-AMTC and SAL (46M3-J017). Thanks are due to E. Poirier and M. Banu, Technical Officers, for the preparation of weld joints, technical support to welding metallurgy, and tensile testing.
- 1.Hirose A, Sakata K, Kobayashi KF (1998) Int J Mater Prod Technol 13(1–2):28Google Scholar
- 3.Tillack DJ (2007) Weld J 1:28Google Scholar
- 9.Biswas S, Reddy GM, Mohandas T, Murthy CVS (2004) J Mater Sci 39:6813. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JMSC.0000045609.86430.19 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Li Z, Gobbi SL, Fontana G, Richter HK, Norris J (1996) Metall Ital 89:5041–5047Google Scholar
- 11.Cao X, Rivaux B, Jahazi M, Cuddy J, Birur A (2008) In: Jahazi M, Elboujdaini M, Patnaik P (eds) Aerospace materials and manufacturing: emerging materials, processes, and repair techniques, COM 2008: 47th conference of metallurgists, Winnipeg, Canada, August, 2008, pp 313–323Google Scholar
- 13.Thompson RG, Dobbs JR, Mayo DE (1986) Weld Res Suppl 11:299sGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhang L, Gobbi SL, Fontana G, Norris J, Richter HK (1997) Metall Ital 89(5):41Google Scholar