Correlation among sintering process, porosity, and creep deformation of refractory concrete
- 414 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to establish the correlation among sintering process, porosity, and important thermo-mechanical property of refractory concrete, i.e., creep. Creep deformation was investigated according to the standard laboratory procedure applied at three temperatures: 1200, 1300, and 1400 °C. Corundum and bauxite-based refractory concretes were investigated. The concretes are varying in chemical and mineralogical composition. Both loss of strength and degradation of material occur when refractory concrete is subjected to increased temperature and compressive static load. Measuring of thermo-mechanical properties can indicate and monitor the changes within microstructure. Variation of refractory concrete microstructure, as a consequence of sintering process, during exposure to constant compressive load and constant elevated temperature during certain time-intervals was investigated using scanning electron microscope and Image Pro Plus program for image analysis. Obtained results of the investigation proved that creep can be useful method when type of refractory concrete is to be chosen for an application.
KeywordsSinter Process Creep Deformation Creep Curve Concrete Sample Apparent Porosity
This study has been supported by Serbian Ministry of Science under Project nos. 19012 and 16004.
- 1.Bazant Z, Kaplan MF (1996) Concrete at high temperatures, material properties and mathematical models, concrete design and construction series. Longmann Group, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sinonin LLF, Olgonon C, Maximilien S, Fantozzi G (2000) J Am Ceram Soc 83:81Google Scholar
- 15.Prassas M, Phalippou J, Zarzycki J (1996) Science of ceramic processing. Wiley-Interscience Publication, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 16.German RM (1996) Sintering theory and practice. Wiley-Interscience Publication, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 17.Standard: JUS B. D8. 304Google Scholar
- 18.Standard JUS B. D8. 303Google Scholar
- 19.Standard JUS B. D8. 301Google Scholar
- 20.Standard JUS B. D8. 312Google Scholar
- 22.Volkov Husovic T, Jancic R, Mitrakovic D (2005) Am Ceram Soc Bull 84(10):1Google Scholar