Effect of small amount of rare earth addition on electromigration in eutectic SnBi solder reaction couple
- 263 Downloads
Effect of small amount of rare earth (RE) addition on electromigration behavior of Cu/SnBi/Cu solder reaction couple (SRC) was investigated with current density of 5 × 103 A/cm2 at room temperature and 100 °C, respectively. Results indicate that tiny RE addition to eutectic SnBi solder alloy can make the energy of interfaces and grain boundaries decrease, restrain the movement of dislocations and grain boundary sliding. Therefore, phase segregation and IMC growth will be effectively suppressed which enhances the electromigration resistance.
KeywordsRare Earth Solder Joint Solder Alloy Solder Ball Solder Matrix
The authors acknowledge the financial support of this work from the New Century Talent Support Program, Ministry of Education, and the Funding Project PHR (IHLB).
- 2.Gan H, Tu KN (2005) J Appl Phys 97:063514-1Google Scholar
- 8.Jung K, Conrad H (2004) J Mater Sci 39(5):1803. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JMSC.0000016189.01285.35 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Chen ZG (2003). PhD Thesis, Beijing University of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 11.Hong-Wen HE, Guang-Chen XU, Fu GUO (2007) Electron Compon Mater 26(11):53 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Hongwen HE, Guangchen XU, Hu HAO et al (2007) ICEPT, Shanghai, China, pp 225–229Google Scholar