Formation and properties of nitrogen-rich strontium silicon oxynitride glasses
- 381 Downloads
Glass formation in the system Sr–Si–O–N was investigated and properties of obtained glasses evaluated. The glass-forming region was determined for glasses prepared by melting mixtures of Sr metal, SiO2 and Si3N4 powders in Nb crucibles at 1600–1750 °C in nitrogen atmosphere using a radio frequency furnace. The glasses were found to be homogenous, translucent gray to opaque black, and to contain high contents of N (up to 45 e/o) and Sr (up to 36 e/o). The glass transition temperature (790–973 °C), density (2.99–4.07 g/cm3), microhardness (8.10–10.50 GPa), and refractive index (1.65–1.93) are strongly correlated with the amounts of Sr and N. The properties are compared with findings in other oxynitride silicate glass systems.
KeywordsGlass Transition Temperature Oxynitride Glass Network Sialon Wide Compositional Range
S. Esmaeilzadeh possesses a research fellowship from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, financed by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation. The Swedish Research Council is acknowledged for financial support.
- 3.Hampshire S, Drew RAL, Jack KH (1985) Phys Chem Glasses 26:182Google Scholar
- 4.Drew RAL, Hampshire S, Jack KH (1981) Proc Br Ceram Soc 31:119Google Scholar
- 16.Drew RAL, Hampshire S, Jack KH (1983) NATO ASI Series E: Appl Sci 65Google Scholar
- 17.Verdier P, Lemarchand V, Pastuszak R (1982) Ann Chim 7:293Google Scholar
- 18.Liu LZ, Pan W, Mei Q, Tang Y, Chen J (1999) Proceedings of the China international conference on high-performance ceramic, 1st, Beijing, China, Oct 31-Nov 3, 1998Google Scholar
- 19.Messier DR, Gleisner RO (1992) Report 16 (MTL-TR-92-6; order no. AD-A247593)Google Scholar
- 21.Shaw TM, Thomas G (1983) NATO ASI Series E: Appl Sci 65Google Scholar
- 24.Komatsu M, Uheda K, Takizawa H, Endo T, Yamane H, Shimada M, Wang C, Mitomo M (2000) Rare Earth 36:258Google Scholar
- 26.Verdier P, Cohen L, Mariotti S, Marchand R (1983) Rev Chimie Miner 20:1Google Scholar
- 27.Hakeem AS (2007) Novel route of oxynitride glass synthesis and characterisation of glasses in the Ln-Si-O-N and Ln-Si-Al-O-N systems. PhD thesis, Stockholm UniversityGoogle Scholar