Eco-composite developed using biomorphous stiff skeleton of carbonised yucca and furfuryl alcohol as a filler
- 132 Downloads
The aim of this research was to prepare a monolithic porous carbon–carbon composite on the basis of porous stiff skeleton obtained via carbonisation of blocks cut from horticultural waste, lignified inflorescence stems of yucca, Yucca flaccida. Then the blocks were infiltrated by furfuryl alcohol, polymerised, cross-linked and carbonised. Raw yucca carbonised at various temperatures and the resultant ecological composites were characterised using the following methods: helium gas densitometry, ultrasonic and electrical resistance measurements, the physical adsorption of N2 gas at −196 °C, scanning (SEM) and transmission (TEM) electron microscopies. Elemental analysis, i.e. the CHN content and organic constituents, were determined for raw yucca. The thermal decomposition of composites and their precursors were investigated at temperatures ranging from 20 to 940 °C using thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). The composites were found to be highly porous carbon materials thermo-resistant in inert atmosphere with a strong skeleton and hierarchically ordered structures. Their elastic and electrical properties were found to be anisotropic and dependent on the support properties.
KeywordsLignin Electric Resistivity Porous Carbon Ultrasonic Velocity Carbonisation Temperature
The authors gratefully acknowledge Mrs. Sylwia Czajkowska for supplying the thermogram of TGA. The main organic components of yucca were determined in the Institute of Organic Chemistry, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria. The TEM observations were made thanks to kindness of Silesian University, Department of Earth Sciences, Sosnowiec, Poland.
- 4.Fey T, Sieber H, Greil P (2005) J Eur Ceram Soc 25:1015. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2004.05.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ghanem H, Kormann M, Gerhard H et al (2007) J Eur Ceram Soc 27:3433. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2007.02.197 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Krzesińska M, Zachariasz J (2007) J Phys: Conf Ser 79 Paper No. 012012Google Scholar
- 25.Krzesińska M, Zachariasz J (2007) J Phys: Conf Ser 79 Paper No. 012011Google Scholar
- 28.Basay E, Ozaki SK, Yalinkilic MK (2004) Wood Sci Technol 38:405Google Scholar