Effects of the enhanced heat treatment on the mechanical properties and stress corrosion behavior of an Al–Zn–Mg alloy
- 457 Downloads
In this article, the effects of the enhanced solution treatment (EST) and high-temperature pre-precipitation (HTPP) on the microstructures, mechanical properties, and stress corrosion cracking resistance of an Al–Zn–Mg alloy have been investigated. The results indicated that EST and HTPP can substantially affect the microstructures of the alloy. The width of the continuously distributed grain boundary precipitates decreases after the EST, while the continuous grain boundary precipitation changes to a discontinuous precipitation structure after both the EST and HTPP. The yield strength, tensile strength, elongation, and fracture toughness of the specimens after the EST are much higher than those of the specimens only after traditional solution treatment, since the EST substantially decreases the size and volume fraction of the constituents. The stress corrosion cracking resistance of the specimens after both the EST and HTPP has been greatly improved due to the discontinuous distribution, and high Cu and low Mg concentrations of the grain boundary precipitates.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Stress Corrosion Stress Corrosion Crack Hydrogen Embrittlement Tensile Ductility
This work was supported by the Creative Research Group of National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant no. 50721003) and Hunan Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (grant no. 07JJ3117).
- 2.Lukasak DA, Hart RM (1991) Aerosp Eng 11:21Google Scholar
- 3.Dix EH (1940) Trans AIME 137:11Google Scholar
- 6.Cina BM (1974) US Patent 3,856,584Google Scholar
- 8.Ou BL, Yang JG, Wei MY (2007) Metall Mater Trans A 381:760Google Scholar
- 16.Marcantonio JA, Mondolfo LF (1970) J Inst Met 98:23Google Scholar
- 17.Mondolfo LF (1971) Met Mater 5:95Google Scholar
- 18.Kent KG (1969) J Inst Met 93:127Google Scholar
- 23.Wang H, Cui H, Hao B, Cheng J, Huang J, Zhang J (2005) Acta Metall Sin 41:1267Google Scholar
- 24.Dix EH, Brown RH, Binger WW (1961) In: Lyman T (ed) Metals handbook, 8th edn., vol 1. ASM, Metal Park, OH, p 916Google Scholar
- 25.Busby J, Cleave JF, Cudd RL (1971) J Inst Met 99:41Google Scholar