Initial nucleation kinetics of martensite transformation
- 248 Downloads
The initial rate of martensite transformation in Fe–Ni and Fe–Ni–Mn is described by the product of the probability of a nucleation site existing in an austenite grain times the probability of its propagation. The former depends on driving force, the latter on defect mobility. The onset of both athermal and isothermal martensite could be modeled in a consistent way, which suggests that both modes have common fundamentals.
KeywordsAustenite Martensite Martensite Transformation Nucleation Site Initial Reaction Rate
One of the authors (P. R. RIOS) is grateful to Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, CNPq, and to Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, FAPERJ, for financial support. Thanks are due to Chris Hoffman (RMC Inc.) for his valuable assistance with the bibliography.
- 1.Cohen M, Olson GB (1976) Suppl Trans JIM 17:93Google Scholar
- 2.Cech RE, Turnbull D (1956) Trans AIME 206:124Google Scholar
- 3.Brook R, Entwisle AR (1965) J Iron Steel Inst 203:905Google Scholar
- 8.Shih CH, Averbach BL, Cohen M (1955) Trans AIME 203:183Google Scholar
- 11.Entwisle AR, Feeney JA (1969) In: Nicholson RB (ed) The Mechanism of phase transformations in crystalline solids, Institute of Metals, London, pp 156–161Google Scholar
- 13.Kurdjumov GV, Maximova OP (1948) Dokl Akad Nauk SSSR 61:83Google Scholar
- 14.Kurdjumov GV, Maximova OP (1950) Dokl Akad Nauk SSSR 73:95Google Scholar
- 16.Gooch TG, West DRF (1967) J Iron Steel Inst 205:555Google Scholar