Electrochemical impedance study of TiAlN film coating on a Ni-based alloy in 0.9% NaCl
- 142 Downloads
TiAlN films were deposited on Ni-based alloy by RF sputtering technique. Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy was employed as in situ technique to investigate the evolution of the TiAlN films on exposure in biological media. After immediate- to short-term exposure, the biological media was further evaluated with inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission spectrometer (ICP-AES) to measure the release of metal ions, such as nickel. The results of ICP-AES analysis showed that TiAlN coated on a Ni-based alloy effectively reduced metal ion release levels, as compared to the uncoated Ni-based alloy. The effect of the nitride films was also reflected in corrosion resistance and the corrosion rate. It was demonstrated that the TiAlN-coated Ni-based alloy revealed a higher corrosion resistance than uncoated substrates. Furthermore, the impedance of nitride films on a Ni-based alloy was larger than that of the metal’s charge transfer reaction at short-term immersion.
KeywordsElectrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Immersion Time Polarization Resistance Immersion Test Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Measurement
This work is supported by Center for Nano-Science and Technology of the University System of Taiwan, Taiwan under Project No. 91B0502J4. Partial support from National Science Council under the contract No. NSC 93-2216-E-007-035 is also appreciated.
- 6.Brown SS, Savory J (1979) Chemical toxicology and clinical chemistry of metals. Raven, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Young T (1905) Philos Trans R Soc London 95:65Google Scholar
- 14.Choi IS, Park CJ (2000) Surf Coat Technol 131:385Google Scholar
- 19.Sun D, Monaghan P, Brantley WA, Johnston WM (2002) J Mater Sci: Mater Med 13:435Google Scholar
- 20.Sun D, Monaghan P, Brantley WA, Johnston WM (2002) J Mater Sci: Mater Med 13:443Google Scholar
- 24.Kelly RG, Scully JR, Shoesmith DW, Buchheit RG (2003) Electrochemical techniques in corrosion science and engineering. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 25.Raistrick ID, Macdonald JR, Franceschetti DR (1987) Impedance spectroscopy emphasizing solid materials and systems. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar