The liquid metastable miscibility gap in the Cu–Co–Fe system
- 230 Downloads
Cu–Co–Fe alloys undercooled below a certain temperature display demixing of the liquid, followed by coagulation before dendritic solidification. In this article high temperature phase equilibria in Cu–Co–Fe samples have been precisely determined by DSC. Special attention has been paid to the liquid–liquid phase separation and on its effect on the formation of microstructures. The measured transformation temperatures have also been used to update the description of the ternary phase diagram.
KeywordsDifferential Scanning Calorimetry Ternary Phase Diagram Liquid Phase Separation Binary Interaction Parameter Liquid Demixing
The work has been supported by the European Space Agency within the project CoolCop (ESA-MAP AO 99–010). A. Ziggiotti (Centro Ricerche Fiat, Orbassano, TO, Italy) is gratefully acknowledged for the measurement of carbon and sulphur in the alloys.
- 2.Battezzati L, Curiotto S, Pryds N, Johnson E (2006) Mater Sci Eng: A 449–451:7Google Scholar
- 5.Wilde G, Willnecker R, Nandan Singh R, Sommer F (1997) Z Metallkd 88:804Google Scholar
- 7.Maddocks W, Clausen G (1936) Iron and steel institute, London, Special Report 14:116Google Scholar
- 17.SGTE Pure Elements database ver. 3.00, 1991 updated from: A.T. Dinsdale Calphad 5:(1981) 317Google Scholar
- 18.Jannson A (1986) Report d73. Technical report, KTH, University of Stockholm, SwedenGoogle Scholar