Preparation of Semi-aromatic polyamide(PA)/multi-wall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) composites and its dynamic mechanical properties
- First Online:
Well dispersed semi-aromatic polyamide(PA)/multi-wall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) composite was prepared through high-speed shearing method in the presence of surfactant sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate (SDBS). Further analysis of morphology, crystallization, and dynamical mechanical properties shows the presence of SDBS helps to disperse the MWCNT and largely enhance the mechanical property. In comparison with neat PA component, the storage modulus (E′) of the blend system at 90 °C is 3.5 times larger than PA with MWCNT load ratio of 3 wt.%; and meanwhile the glass transition temperature (Tg) of PA component increases about 17 °C; Similar phenomena have not found in MWCNT/PA composite without surfactant. Simultaneously, as DSC and morphology measurements indicate, the filled MWCNT does not show tremendous effect on the crystalline phase and crystallinity of PA, which imply that the increasing mechanical property for composites is due to the strengthening effect of MWCNT itself, not being caused by the change of crystalline phase and crystallinity by the addition of MWCNT. The increasing Tg, indicative of the restricting movement of PA chains, is most probably ascribe to the strong interaction presented between MWCNT and PA chains.
- 1.Wang ZL, Poncharal P, de Heer WA (1999) First IUPAC workshop on advanced materials: nanostructured systems, Hong Kong, July 14–18Google Scholar
- 16.Israelachvili JN (1992) Intermolecular and surface forces, 2nd edn. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- 23.Arimoto H (1964) J Polym Sci A2:2283Google Scholar
- 25.Frayer PD, Koening JL, Lando JB (1972) J Macromol Sci Phys B6:129Google Scholar
- 29.Gao J, Itkis ME, Yu A, Bekyarova E, Zhao B, Haddon RC (2005) J Am Chem Soc 127:847Google Scholar