Systematic study on the influence of growth parameters on island density exponent, size distribution and scaling behaviour
- 62 Downloads
We present the Monte Carlo simulation of submonolayer film growth during molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) at low temperature. We have made systematic study to see how the parameters diffusion to flux ratio (D/F), diffusional anisotropy (DA) and sticking anisotropy influences on island density exponent (χ), size distribution and scaling behaviour. We have found that, as diffusional anisotropy changes from DA = 1 to DA = ∝, the density exponent changes from χ = 0.34 ± 0.01 to 0.28 ± 0.01 for isotropic sticking case but when sticking is anisotropic the density exponent changes from χ = 0.31 ± 0.01 to 0.24 ± 0.01. The influence produced by DA on island size distribution is observed to depend on D/F ratio and sticking anisotropy. Depending on DA values and D/F ratio, the size distribution is also observed to be insensitive to the change in diffusional anisotropy. We also study the influence of diffusional anisotropy on scaling function for two sticking anisotropy condition. The scaling behaviour of island size distribution is observed to be not affected by all diffusional anisotropy as well as sticking anisotropy condition.
KeywordsDiffusional Anisotropy Sticking Probability Growth Probability Island Density Single Master Curve
One of the authors S.P. Shrestha gratefully acknowledges the support from Swedish International Development Corporation Agency (SIDA) and The Abdus Salam International Center For Theoretical Physics (ICTP) under regular associate scheme.
- 5.Mo YW, Kleiner J, Webb MB, Lagally MG (1991) Phys Rev Lett 66:1998; Mo YW, Kleiner J, Webb MB, Lagally MG (1992) Surf Sci 268: 275Google Scholar
- 7.Stroscio JA, Pierce DT (1994) Phys Rev B 49:8522; Stroscio JA, Pierce DT, Dragoset RA (1993) Phys Rev Lett 70:3615Google Scholar
- 8.Somfai E, Wolf DE, Kertesz J (1996) J Phys I 6:393Google Scholar
- 10.Lee SB, Gupta BC (2000) Phys Rev B 62:7545; Lee SB (2006) Phys Rev B 73: 035437; Lee SB, Hwangbo T (2004) Physica A 337:470Google Scholar
- 13.Bartelt MC, Evans JW (1992) Phys Rev B 46:12675; Bartelt MC, Evans JW (1993) Surf Sci 298:421Google Scholar
- 14.Amar JG, Family F, Lam P (1994) Phys Rev B 50:8781; Amar JG, Family F (1995) Phys Rev Lett 74:2066 Google Scholar
- 18.Yang H, Labella VP, Bullock DW, Ding Z, Smathers JB, Thibado PM (1994) J Crystal Growth 201:88Google Scholar