Synthesis and characterization of Cu(II) containing PMMA co-polymer for optical applications
- 148 Downloads
Homogenous, transparent, greenish blue Cu(II) containing PMMA co-polymer disks were prepared through the radical polymerization of the Cu(II) methacrylate, MMA and HMA using AIBN as an initiator. The dependence of the absorbance and transmittance spectra with the Cu(II) methacrylate concentration was investigated in the visible range (420–750 nm). From the transmittance measurements the refractive index and extinction coefficient spectral dependence were calculated by application of an inversion approach. To further characterize this co-polymer a thermogram was performed. The overall behavior of this material suggests its possible use as a standard solution for Spectroscopy Equipment Calibration and as a selective optical filter.
KeywordsPMMA Methacrylate Transmittance Spectrum AIBN Optical Constant
The authors gratefully acknowledge the partial financial support provided by the Consejo Nacional para Investigaciones Científicas y Tecnológicas de Costa Rica (CONICIT).
- 1.Schubert U (2001) Chem Mater 13:3847Google Scholar
- 13.Thomas EL (1993) In: Cahn RW, Haasen P, Kramer EJ (eds) Materials science and technology. Structure and properties of polymer, vol 12. VCH, Weinheim, p 531Google Scholar
- 15.Athans M, Dertouzos ML, Spann RN, Mason SJ (1974) Systems, networks, and computations: multivariable methods. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Babeva T, Kitova S, Mednikarov B, Konstantinov I (2002) Appl Optics 41:3840Google Scholar
- 21.Curiel F, Vargas WE, Barrera RG (2002) Appl Optics 41:5969Google Scholar
- 24.Born M, Wolf E (1999) Principles of Optics. Cambridge, United KingdomGoogle Scholar
- 25.Shepherd JW, Foxman BM (1986) Mol Cryst Liquid Cryst 137:87Google Scholar
- 26.Cotton FA, Wilkinson G (1999) Advanced inorganic chemistry, 6th ed. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar