Chemical interaction between Crofer 22 APU and mica-based gaskets under simulated SOFC conditions
- 300 Downloads
Mica gaskets and also composite gaskets containing compressive mica interlayers are under consideration as sealing materials in solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC). To study potential interactions between the interconnect steel Crofer22APU and the mineral phases vermiculite (exfoliated) (K,Mg,Fe)3(Si,Al)4O10(OH)2) and talc (Mg3Si4O10(OH)2), corrosion experiments were conducted in simulated SOFC conditions. The opposite walls of the gaskets were simultaneously exposed to air and wet H2. A substantial increase in the thickness of the oxide layers formed by the interconnect steel is observed with specimen containing talc. The Cr2O3/(Cr,Mn)3O4 duplex layer normally formed on the Crofer is replaced by a thicker (factor of 5–10) layer of a complex microstructure that is assumed to contain Cr2O3, (Cr,Mn,Mg,Fe)3O4 and Fe2O3 phases. The modified microstructure is found in the entire air manifold, with an increased thickness up to a distance of 300 μm from the mica. It is proposed that magnesium is the critical component responsible for the accelerated oxide formation. A decomposition of talc is observed, which is discussed as the mechanism for the release of magnesium.
KeywordsTalc Oxide Scale Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Enstatite Inductively Couple Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy
The authors would like to thank V. Haanappel for conducting the experiments in the simulated SOFC environment, and M. Kappertz for the metallographic preparation. We would like to thank W.J. Quadakkers and P. Huczkowski for reference micrographs and helpful discussions.
- 4.Lahl N, Singheiser L, Hilpert K, Singh K, Baradur D (1999) In: Electrochemical society proceedings, vol 99, p 1057Google Scholar
- 6.Bram M, Reckers S, Drinovac P, Moench J, Steinbrech RW, Buchkremer HP, Stoever D (2003) Proc Electrochem Soc. 2003–2007 (SOFC VIII) 888Google Scholar
- 9.Wiener F, Behr W, Bram M, Buchkremer HP, Steinbrech RW (2005) Poster presentation, 9th Grove Fuel Cell Symposium, London, UKGoogle Scholar
- 10.Weiß R, Peck D, Mille M, Hilpert K (1996) Proceedings of the 17th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, Roskilde, Denmark, 1996, 479Google Scholar
- 12.Haanappel VAC, Vinke IC, Wesermeyer H (2004) In: Proceedings of the 6th European SOFC Forum, Lucerne, Switzerland, 2004, 784Google Scholar
- 15.ACersS-NIST Phase Equilibria Diagrams, CD-ROM Database, Version 3.0.1Google Scholar