Effect of Y2O3 on the crystallization behavior of SiO2–MgO–B2O3–Al2O3 glasses
- 430 Downloads
A series of glass comprising of SiO2–MgO–B2O3–Y2O3–Al2O3 in different mole ratio has been synthesized. The crystallization kinetics of these glasses was investigated using various characterization techniques such as differential thermal analysis (DTA), thermo gravimetric analysis (TGA), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Crystallization behavior of these glasses was markedly influenced by the addition of Y2O3 instead of Al2O3. Addition of Y2O3 increases the transition temperature, T g, crystallization temperature, T c and stability of the glasses. Also, it suppresses the formation of cordierite phase, which is very prominent and detrimental in MgO-based glasses. The results are discussed on the basis of the structural and chemical role of Y3+ and Al3+ ions in the present glasses.
KeywordsDifferential Thermal Analysis Y2O3 Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Mg2SiO4 Thermal Gravimetric Analysis
For carrying out this research the financial assistance provided by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and Department of Science and Technology (DST) is highly acknowledged.
- 1.Ley KL, Krumpel M, Meisser TR, Bloom I (1996) J Mat Res 11:1449Google Scholar
- 3.Sung YM (1996) J Mater Sci 31:5421. DOI: 10.1007/BF01159312Google Scholar
- 4.Lahl N, Singh K, Singheiser L, Hilpert K, Bahadur D (2000) J Mater Sci 35:3089. DOI: 10.1023/A: 1004851418274Google Scholar
- 9.Yun-Mo-Sung (2002) J Mater Res 17:517Google Scholar
- 13.Lee JD (1993) Concise inorganic chemistry, 4th edn. Chapman and Hall, London, p 683Google Scholar
- 21.Horiuchi H, Sawamoto H (1981) Am Mineral 66:568Google Scholar