Determination of the effective Young‘s modulus of cellular materials from hollow bronze spheres by means of dynamic resonant method
- 79 Downloads
Cellular materials from hollow bronze spheres were prepared and investigated. The main aim was to determine the effective Young’s modulus of cellular materials by means of the dynamic resonant method, and the next goal was to demonstrate the possibility of using sandwich samples for such determination. For this purpose, two kinds of samples were prepared: quasihomogeneous rods consisting entirely of a cellular material, and sandwich rods containing the cellular material only in a core. Resonant frequencies of the fundamental flexural modes of all these samples were measured, and corresponding flexural rigidities were evaluated. Obtained values of flexural rigidities were subsequently utilized for calculation of the effective Young’s modulus of cellular material. A reasonable agreement between the modulus values determined by means of quasihomogeneous and sandwich samples was obtained. This indicates that the sandwich samples could be used for measuring the material properties of particular layers.
KeywordsHollow Sphere Cellular Material Flexural Rigidity Flexural Vibration Trapezoidal Cross Section
This work was supported by Slovak Grant Agency for Science (VEGA grants 2/3208/23 and 2/6208/26). The authors are grateful to Prof. K. Kromp and Dr. D. Loidl from University of Vienna for the measurements of resonant frequencies.
- 1.Gibson LJ, Ashby MF (1988) Cellular solids: structure and properties. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 2.Spinner S, Tefft WE (1961) Proceedings, Am Soc Testing Mats 61:1221Google Scholar
- 3.Landau LD, Lifshitz EM (1969) Mechanics, 2nd English edn. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 4.Craig RR Jr (1996) Mechanics of materials. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Riley WF, Zachary L (1989) Introduction to mechanics of materials. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kupková M, Kupka M (1999) Kovové Mater 37:96Google Scholar
- 8.Danninger H, Strobl S, Gürtenhofer R (1998) In: Procedings of the 1998 PM World Congress, vol 1. Granada, p 185Google Scholar
- 9.Kupková M, Kupka M, Strobl S, Khatibi G, Kabátová M, DudrováE (2003) Metalurgija 42:95Google Scholar
- 11.Kupková M, Kupka M (2000). Strojnícky časopis (J Mech Eng) 51:104Google Scholar
- 13.Timoshenko S, Young DH, Weaver W Jr (1974) Vibration problems in engineering, 4th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar