Squeeze infiltration processing of nickel coated carbon fiber reinforced Al-2014 composite
- 256 Downloads
Ni-coated fibers are widely used to synthesize carbon fiber reinforces Al based composites. It is observed that during the pressure infiltration process, significant amount of damage takes place in the nickel (Ni) coating due to a difference in the thermal expansion coefficients of fibers and Ni-coating. A modified squeeze infiltration set up is studied in the present work to minimize the damage to the Ni-coating during the infiltration process. This process resulted in significant improvement in retention of the Ni-coating compared to the unmodified process. The solidification pattern in the matrix was established by Energy Dispersive Spectroscopic analysis, which suggests that solidification of primary α-Al started in the interfiber region. The Vickers hardness values for the unreinforced portion of the sample, the matrix regions within the fiber tows and at the fiber matrix interface were found to be 55, 72 and 87, respectively.
KeywordsCarbon Fiber Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy Fiber Surface Fiber Matrix Interface Carbon Fiber Surface
The authors would like to express gratitude to the NSF for funding this research under grant NSF CTS970045N, CMS9821057 and CTS000003N.
- 2.Mortenson A, Cornie JA, Flemmings MC (1988) J Met 12–19Google Scholar
- 6.Degischer HP, Schulz P, Lacom W (1977) Key Eng Mater 127–131:99Google Scholar
- 10.Flemings MC (1990) In: Proc. Elliot Symposium (Iron and Steel Society). pp 216–235Google Scholar
- 11.Ghosh A (1990) Principles of secondary processing and casting of liquid steels, Chapter 6, 7, & 9. South Asia Books; New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lacaze J, Lesoult G (1999) Iron Steel Inst Japan Intl 39:658Google Scholar
- 13.Flemings MC (1976) Solidification processing. McGraw Hill Publications, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mortensen A (2000) In: Kelly A, Zweben C (eds) Comprehensive composite materials, Metal matrix composites, vol 3. Elsevier Science, pp 521Google Scholar
- 17.Rohatgi PK, Narendranath CS, Ray S, Asthana R (1992) In: Rohatgi P (ed) Microstructure formation during solidification of metal matrix composites. TMS, p 1Google Scholar
- 18.Trespaille-Barran P, Suery M (1994) Mater Sci Technol 10(6):97Google Scholar
- 19.Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf D, Makel DD, Sonergaard NA, Maribo DW (1988) In: Fishman SG, Dhingra AK (eds) Cast reinforced metal composite. ASM International, Materials Park, OHGoogle Scholar