The influence of magnetron sputtered silver and titanium coatings on the compaction and properties of surface modified PM Ti-48Al powders
- 83 Downloads
Thin layers of silver and titanium were deposited onto commercial Ti–48Al particles by magnetron sputtering prior to their consolidation by hot isostatic pressing and subsequent heat treatment. Based on picnometry and electron probe microanalysis results, average values of 1.5 and 2.5 at.%, respectively, were obtained for the silver and titanium contents in the coated particles. The surface modified Ti–48Al particles exhibited improved sintering ability than the unmodified ones. The consolidated samples have duplex microstructures formed by γ-TiAl and γ-TiAl + α2-Ti3Al grains. Ag-rich nanoprecipitates were detected in the microstructure of the compacted Ti-48Al + Ag sample. The coatings are no longer visible at the grains boundaries after a subsequent homogenization heat treatment at 1200°C. The highest values of hardness and Young’s modulus were obtained for the Ti–48Al + Ag sample, associated with a higher density and a lower percentage of pores.
Keywords48Al Powder 48Al Particle Indentation Modulus Uncoated Particle HIPed Sample
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) through project POCTI/CTM/46498/2002.
- 6.Vossen JL, Cuomo JJ (19878) In: Vossen JL, Kern W (eds) Thin film processes, p 15Google Scholar
- 7.Metals Handbook, 9th Edition, Vol. 2, 1979Google Scholar
- 8.Beddoes JC, Wallace W, Demalherbe MC (1992) Int J Powder Metal 28(3):313Google Scholar
- 9.Seetharaman V, Semiatin SL (2002) In: Westbrook JH, Fleischer RL (eds) Intermetallic compounds: vol 3. Principles and Practice, p 653Google Scholar
- 12.Neves F, Marcelo T, Carvalho MH, Trindade B, Vieira MT (2001) Proceedings of EUROMAT 2001, Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia, Milano, 2001Google Scholar
- 13.Cullity BD (1978) In: Elements of X-Ray Diffraction, Second Edition. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1978Google Scholar
- 15.Sauthoff G (1995) Intermetallics, VCH FRG, p 14Google Scholar