Synthesis and nonlinear optical properties of novel Y-type polyurethanes with high thermal stability of dipole alignment
- 84 Downloads
2,3-Di-(2′-hydroxyethoxy)benzylidenemalononitrile (3) was prepared and condensed with 2,4-toluenediisocyanate and 3,3′-dimethoxy-4,4′-biphenylenediisocyanate to yield novel Y-type polyurethanes 4–5 containing 2,3-dioxy benzylidenemalononitrile group as a nonlinear optical (NLO)-chromophore, which constituted parts of the polymer backbones. Polyurethanes 4–5 were soluble in common organic solvents such as acetone and N,N-dimethylformamide. They showed a thermal stability up to 270 °C in thermogravimetric analysis thermograms and the glass-transition temperatures (Tg) obtained from differential scanning calorimetry thermograms were around 116–135 °C. The second harmonic generation (SHG) coefficients (d33) of poled polymer films at 106.4 mm−1 fundamental wavelength were around 9.07 × 10−19 C (2.72 × 10−9 esu). The dipole alignment exhibited high thermal stability up to 10 °C higher than Tg, and there was no SHG decay below 145 °C due to the partial main-chain character of the polymer structure, which was acceptable for nonlinear optical device applications.
KeywordsSecond Harmonic Generation Dipole Alignment Second Harmonic Generation Measurement Benzylidenemalononitrile Anhydrous Calcium Sulfate
This work was supported by Korea Institute of Industrial Technology Evaluation and Planning (Regional Industrial Technology Development Program 11016015).
- 1.Williams D (1988) In: Bowden MJ, Turner SR (eds) Electronic and photonic applications of polymers. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp 297–330Google Scholar
- 2.Prasad PN (1988) In: Preasad PN, Ulrich DR (eds) Nonlinear optical and elrctroactive polymers. Plenum Press, New York, pp 41–67Google Scholar
- 3.Thackara JI, Lipscomb GF, Lytel RS, Ticknor AJ (1988) In: Heeger AJ, Orenstein J, Ulrich DR (eds) Nonlinear optical properties of polymers. Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, pp 19–27Google Scholar
- 12.Tsutumi N, Yoshizaki S, Sakai W, Kiyotsukuri T (1995) Macromolecules 28:6442Google Scholar
- 13.Han KS, Park SK, Shim SY, Jahng WS, Kim NJ (1998) Bull Korean Chem Soc 19:1165Google Scholar
- 27.In Fig. 1(c), the double arrow means that 2-oxy electron-releasing group is conjugated with electron-withdrawing benzylidenemalononitrile groupGoogle Scholar