Microstructure, strength and tribological behavior of Fe–C–Cu–Ni sintered steels prepared with MoS2 addition
- 263 Downloads
Powder metal processing permits development of new composites with specific properties required for demanding applications. Complex shaped machine elements like gears and bearings are made of powder metallurgy technique economically. In many applications these machine elements operate under unlubricated conditions and there is a need for materials with good friction and wear characteristics, strength and modulus. In the present study, Fe–C–Cu–Ni alloys with solid lubricant, MoS2, were developed using a simple single stage compaction and sintering. The microstructure, strength, hardness and tribo behavior of the composites were evaluated. The friction and wear characteristics were evaluated using pin-on-disc type tribo test machine. Addition of solid lubricant improved the compressibility and thereby the density of the compacts. Presence of the secondary sulphide phases in the as-sintered compacts improves the hardness and strength. The coefficient of friction and wear loss decreased with addition of MoS2. A simple wear model is proposed to predict the wear loss in these composites. The model predicts wear loss values that are in agreement with the experimental data.
KeywordsWear Resistance Wear Rate MoS2 Wear Surface Base Composition
Authors acknowledge the discussions and various support provided by Prof Y Mutoh, Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan and Prof N Masahashi of Tohoku University Japan.
- 2.Danninger H (1993) Powder Metal Sci Tech 4:22Google Scholar
- 11.ASTM B 328 (1996) Standard test method for density, oil content and interconnected porosity of sintered metal structural parts and oil-impregnated bearings, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, p 108Google Scholar
- 12.Howard A. Kuhn (1999) ASM Hand book 11 p 143Google Scholar
- 13.ASTM E 9–89 a, “Standard test methods of compression testing of metallic materials at room temperature”, (ASTM International, West Conshohocken, 2000) p 104Google Scholar
- 17.Dhanasekaran S, Gnanamoorthy R, Unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar
- 18.Danninger H, Liersch A, Ratzi R (2000) In: Kosuge K, Nagai H (eds) Proceedings of 2000 powder metallurgy world congress, (2000, Japan Powder Metallurgy Association) p 1108Google Scholar
- 19.Rapoport L, Lvovsky M, Lapsker I, Leshchinsky W, Volovik Yu, Feldman Y, Tenne R (2001) Wear 249:150Google Scholar