Study of γ2 precipitation in Cu–Al–Be shape memory alloys
- 147 Downloads
Thermal aging between 250 and 500 °C of ordered β phase in a polycrystalline Cu–Al–Be shape memory alloy were performed, and the formation of phase γ2 was studied with optical and transmission electron microscopies and XRD techniques. The growth of γ2 phase shows a polynomial behavior, and Avrami curves as well as a Time–Temperature–Transformation diagram were constructed from these results. In addition, the formation of stable γ2 precipitates was studied in aged Cu–Al–Be ribbons. The presence of α regions surrounding γ2 precipitates for longer aging times at higher temperatures was observed, giving a consistent precipitation scheme.
KeywordsShape Memory Alloy Aging Temperature Martensitic Transformation Temperature Longe Aging Time Polynomial Behavior
The authors wish to thank Armando Reyes for his invaluable help with X-ray characterizations. The authors also thank CONACYT—Mexico for the financial support given to this project.
- 1.Flores-Zúñiga H, Ríos-Jara D, Lovey FC, Guénin G (1995) J de physique IV.5:C2-171Google Scholar
- 4.Pons J, Cesari E (1999) Mater Str 6:115Google Scholar
- 5.Rapacioli R, Chandrasekaran M (1979) Proc Int Conf Martensitic Transformations. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, p 596Google Scholar
- 6.Cesari E, Pons J, Chandrasekaran M (1994) Trans Mat Res Soc Jpn 18:903Google Scholar
- 8.Wagner C (1961) Z Elektrochem 65:581Google Scholar
- 10.Burke J (1965) The kinetics of phase transformations in metals, Pergamon Press, Oxford, p 240Google Scholar