Si3N4/Mg composites with an interpenetrating network
- 128 Downloads
Metal matrix composites (MMCs) have some kinds of reinforcement such as particle , whisker and fibre [1, 2, 3] as well as three dimensional network structure (3DNMMCs) . In recent years, the MMCs reinforced by 3DNMMCs have been received much attention . Especially, 3DNMMCs reinforced by ceramic phase with an interconnected interpenetrating network structure have become of great interest because of their attractive microstructure and properties [6, 7]. For example, the Si3N4 ceramic with network structure interpenetrating ductile metal magnesium would take an amazing effects in microstructure and properties due to the ceramic phase providing low density, high elastic modulus and high strength while the metallic phase offering high toughness as well as high thermal and electrical conductivity [8, 9]. Such composites can be produced by infiltration of a molten metal into porous ceramic skeleton under or without pressure. Porous ceramic skeleton can be fabricated by a...
KeywordsMagnesium Alloy Ceramic Foam Spinel Layer MgAl2O4 Spinel Metal Magnesium
This research was granted by Natural Science Foundation of China (50371047).
- 5.Lu L, Lai MO, Froyen L (2002) Key Eng Mater 230(2):28Google Scholar
- 11.Green DJ (1984) Fabrication and mechanical properties of lightweight ceramics produced by sintering of hollow spheres. Final report on AFOSR contract No.F49620-83-C0078Google Scholar
- 12.Schwartzwalder K, Somers AV (1963) Method of making porous ceramic articles. U.S. Patent 3090094Google Scholar
- 16.De Hoff RT, Rhines FN (1968) Quantitative microscopy [M], McGraw-Hill, New York, 93Google Scholar
- 17.Gibson LJ, Ashby MF (1999) Cellular solids, structure and properties. 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar