Effects of rapid heating on aging characteristics of T6 tempered Al–Si–Mg alloys using a fluidized bed
- 176 Downloads
Effects of rapid heat transfer using a fluidized bed on the heat-treating response of Al–Si–Mg alloys (both unmodified and Sr modified) were investigated. Heating rate in fluidized bed (FB) is an order of magnitude greater than in conventional air convective furnaces (CF). On aging using FB, it was observed that the nucleation rate of Mg2Si particles was greater than in CF. Thermal analyses show an endothermic reaction during aging in CF. No such transformation was observed during aging in FB. The endothermic transformation could be due to the dissolution of GP zones or metastable phase(s). The total heat treatment time for T6 temper was reduced to less than 2 h using FB.
KeywordsUltimate Tensile Strength Solution Heat Treatment Mg2Si Particle D357 Alloy Unmodified Alloy
Authors are thankful to Hitchcock Industries, MN, USA, for supplying castings for this study. The authors thank the corporate members of the Advanced Casting Research Center of the Metal Processing Institute for their support of this work.
- 1.Apelian D, Shivkumar S, Sigworth G (1989) AFS Trans 89–137:727Google Scholar
- 3.Crepeau PN (1995) AFS Trans 113:361Google Scholar
- 7.Bergman CH, Krause SI (2000) US Patent number: 6,042,369 March 28Google Scholar
- 10.Chaudhury S, Shankar S, Apelian D (2003) J. Van Wert, in proceedings of the AFS Aluminum Structural Casting Conference, Orlando, FL, published by AFS, November 2–4Google Scholar
- 11.Hernandez-Paz JF, Paray F, Gruzleski JE (2004) AFS Trans 04–009(02)Google Scholar
- 12.Chaudhury SK, Apelian D (in press) Metall Mater Trans AGoogle Scholar