Recycling process of WC-Co cermets by hydrothermal treatment
- 317 Downloads
Hydrothermal extraction process of Co binder phase from WC-Co cermet was investigated in order to establish a novel recycling system of WC-Co cermet scraps. When the cermet chips were hydrothermal-treated in hydrochloric acid above 110∘C, Co binding phase was efficiently extracted and the cermet chips were disintegrated into relatively large fragments. After hydrothermal treatment, WC sintered body become very brittle and pulverized easily by ball milling and the mean particle size of thus obtained WC particle became similar to that of virginal WC particle. The recycled WC powder was a little easier to undergo oxidation than the virginal WC powder, so that the mechanical properties of recycled WC-Co cermets were degraded. However, the degradation of mechanical properties was prevented only by drying the WC powder more carefully. This hydrothermal process will be one of the recycling systems for WC-Co cermets.
KeywordsOxidation Polymer Particle Size Mechanical Property Brittle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. YAJIMA and T. YAMAGUCHI, Powder Metall. Int. 22 (1982) 94.Google Scholar
- 2.H. MANNINEN, D. TOTOLIDIS, E. DIDERRICH, A. MAGNEE, D. COUTSOURADIS and P. BOISOT, Metal Powder Report, Dec. (1989) 839.Google Scholar
- 3.K. J. A. BROOKES, Metal Powder Report 131 (1990) 131.Google Scholar
- 4.B. F. KIEFFER and E. LASSNER, BHM Berg- und Hüttenmännische Monatshefte 139. Jg. (1994) 340.Google Scholar
- 7.H. MATSUBARA, K. OHASHI, O. MAEDA and K. HIJIKATA, Japanese Patent, 52-108302(A) (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.N. YAMASAKI, X. LAN, Y. NOMURA and Q. FENG, Reports of Res. Labor. Hydrotherm. Chem. 8 (1996) 55.Google Scholar
- 9.T. KASHIWAI, I. MATSUSHITA and N. YAMASAKI, Japanese Patent, 10-30130(A) (1998).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. NOMURA, T. KASHIWAI, I. MATSUSHITA and N. YAMASAKI, Japanese Patent, 11-60227(A) (1999).Google Scholar
- 11.R. SASAI, A. SANTO, T. SHIMIZU, T. KOJIMA and H. ITOH, in “Waste Management and the Environment,” edited by D. Almorza, C. A. Brebbia, D. Sales and V. Popov (WIT Press, Sounthampton, Boston, 2002) p. 13.Google Scholar
- 12.M. KAMIYA, T. KOJIMA, Y. MORI, R. SASAI and H. ITOH, in “Waste Management and the Environment,” edited by D. Almorza, C. A. Brebbia, D. Sales and V. Popov (WIT Press, Sounthampton, Boston, 2002) p. 61.Google Scholar