Spray processing and wear characteristics of Al-Cu-Al2O3-Pb based composites
- 81 Downloads
The spray deposition process has been employed in synthesis of Al-4.5Cu-10Al2O3 and Al-4.5Cu-10Al2O3-10Pb based composites. The microstructure and wear characteristics of composites were investigated. The rapid solidification inherent in spray deposition processing resulted in a uniform dispersion of Al2O3 and Pb particles co-existing in the matrix of the- primary α-phase. The grain size of the Al-4.5Cu-10Al2O3-Pb composite was observed to be higher than that of the Al-4.5Cu-10Al2O3 composite in various sections of the spray deposit. The wear rate of composite materials decreased with addition of Pb phase. This behavior is discussed in the light of the microstructural modification induced by spray deposition and the morphology of debris particles on the wear track surfaces. The wear characteristics of the composites are compared with that of the liquid immiscible Al-4.5Cu-10Pb alloy.
KeywordsMicrostructure Al2O3 Composite Material Wear Rate Deposition Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.K. J. BHANSALI and R. MEHRABAIN, J. Met. 9 (1982) 30.Google Scholar
- 11.F. A. BADIA and P. K. ROHATGI, Trans. AFS 77 (1969) 402.Google Scholar
- 12.A. M. PATTON, J. Inst. Met. 100 (1972) 197.Google Scholar
- 13.S. N. SINGH and S. N. OJHA, Metals Materials and Processes 3(1) (1991) 29.Google Scholar
- 20.G. ARTHUR, J. Inst. Metals 83 (1954) 1329.Google Scholar
- 21.P. SHUKLA, R. K. MANDAL and S. N. OJHA, Trans.Indian Inst. Met. 57 (2004) 283.Google Scholar
- 23.S. MOHAN, V. AGRAWALA and S. RAY, Z. Metallkunde 80 (1989) 439.Google Scholar