Integrated Shipment Dispatching and Packing Problems: a Case Study
- 134 Downloads
In this paper we examine a consolidation and dispatching problem motivated by a multinational chemical company which has to decide routinely the best way of delivering a set of orders to its customers over a multi-day planning horizon. Every day the decision to be made includes order consolidation, vehicle dispatching as well as load packing into the vehicles. We develop a heuristic based on a cutting plane framework, in which a simplified Integer Linear Program (ILP) is solved to optimality. Since the ILP solution may correspond to a infeasible loading plan, a feasibility check is performed through a tailored heuristic for a three-dimensional bin packing problem with side constraints. If this test fails, a cut able to remove the infeasible solution is generated and added to the simplified ILP. Then the procedure is iterated. Computational results show that our procedure allows achieving remarkable cost savings.
Keywordsshipment consolidation vehicle dispatching bin packing
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)90B06 90B90
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bertazzi, L., Bertsekas, D.P., Speranza, M.G.: Optimal and neuro-dynamic programming solutions for a stochastic inventory transportation problem. In: Kischka P., Leopold-Wildburger U., Mohring, R.H. Radermacher F.J. (eds.) Models, Methods and Decision Support for Management, pp. 65–78. Physica-Verlag (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Bertazzi, L., Speranza, M.G.: Models and algorithms for the minimization of inventory and transportation costs: a survey. In: Speranza, M.G., Staehly, P. (eds.) New Trends in Distribution Logistics Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, vol. 480, pp. 137–157. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Bertazzi, L., Paletta, G., Speranza, M.G.: Minimizing the total cost in an integrated vendor-managed inventory System. J. Heur. 11(5–6) (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Iori, M., Salazar Gonzalez, J.J., Vigo, D.: An exact approach for the vehicle routing problem with two-dimensional loading constraints. Report OR-04-6, University of Bologna, Italy (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Powell, W.B.: A local improvement heuristic for the design of less-than-truckload motor carrier networks. Transp. Sci. 20(4), 246–257 (1986)Google Scholar
- 17.Toth, P., Vigo, D. (eds.): The Vehicle Routing Problem Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications S.I.A.M., Philadelpia, Pennsylvania (2002)Google Scholar