Turbulent Luminance in Impassioned van Gogh Paintings
- 528 Downloads
We show that the patterns of luminance in some impassioned van Gogh paintings display the mathematical structure of fluid turbulence. Specifically, we show that the probability distribution function (PDF) of luminance fluctuations of points (pixels) separated by a distance R compares notably well with the PDF of the velocity differences in a turbulent flow, as predicted by the statistical theory of A.N. Kolmogorov. We observe that turbulent paintings of van Gogh belong to his last period, during which episodes of prolonged psychotic agitation of this artist were frequent. Our approach suggests new tools that open the possibility of quantitative objective research for art representation.
KeywordsProbability Distribution Function Foreign Exchange Market Semilog Plot Famous Painting Spanish National Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Livingstone, M.S.: Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing. Harry N. Abrams, New York (2002) Google Scholar
- 2.Space Phenomenon Imitates Art in Universe’s Version of van Gogh Painting. HUBBLESITE newscenter, News Release Number STScl-2004-10. http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2004/10/. Acces date: October 1, 2007
- 3.Kolmogorov, A.N.: The local structure of turbulence in incompressible viscous fluid for very large Reynolds numbers. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 30, 299–303 (1941). Reprinted in Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 434, 9–13 (1991) Google Scholar
- 4.Kolmogorov, A.N.: Dissipation of energy in the locally isotropic turbulence. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 32, 16–18 (1941). Reprinted in Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 434, 15–17 (1991) Google Scholar
- 10.Hunt, R.W.G.: Measuring Colour. Fountain, Bibvewadi (1998) Google Scholar
- 11.González, R.C., Woods, R.E., Eddins, S.L.: Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (2003) Google Scholar
- 14.Mitra, D., Bec, J., Pandit, R., Frisch, U.: Is multiscaling an artifact in the stochastically forced Burgers equation? Phys. Rev. Lett. 94(194501) (2005) Google Scholar
- 16.Harrison, R. (ed.): The Complete Letters of Vincent van Gogh. Bulfinch, Minnetonka (2000) Google Scholar
- 17.Peck, A.: Beginning the GIMP: From Novice to Professional. Apress, China (2006) Google Scholar