Measuring Elongation from Shape Boundary
- 319 Downloads
Shape elongation is one of the basic shape descriptors that has a very clear intuitive meaning. That is the reason for its applicability in many shape classification tasks. In this paper we define a new method for computing shape elongation. The new measure is boundary based and uses all the boundary points. We start with shapes having polygonal boundaries. After that we extend the method to shapes with arbitrary boundaries. The new elongation measure converges when the assigned polygonal approximation converges toward a shape. We express the measure with closed formulas in both cases: for polygonal shapes and for arbitrary shapes. The new measure finds the elongation for shapes whose boundary is not extracted completely, which is impossible to achieve with area based measures.
KeywordsShape Elongation Orientation Image processing Computer vision Early vision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Freeman, H.: Boundary encoding and processing. In: Lipkin, B.S., Rosenfeld, A. (eds.) Picture Processing and Psyhopictorics, pp. 391–402. Academic Press, New York (1970) Google Scholar
- 6.Horn, B.K.P.: Robot Vision. MIT Press, Cambridge (1986) Google Scholar
- 7.Jain, R., Kasturi, R., Schunck, B.G.: Machine Vision. McGraw-Hill, New York (1995) Google Scholar
- 14.Rosin, P.L.: Measuring shape: ellipticity, rectangularity, and triangularity. Mach. Vis. Appl. 14, 172–184 (2003) Google Scholar
- 16.Stojmenović, M., Žunić, J.: New measure for shape elongation. In: IbPRIA 2007, 3rd Iberian Conference on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4478, pp. 572–579 (2007) Google Scholar
- 17.Sonka, M., Hlavac, V., Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision. Chapman and Hall, London (1993) Google Scholar
- 20.Žunić, J.: Boundary based orientation of polygonal shapes. In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Hsinchu, Taiwan, PSIVT, December 2006, pp. 108–117 (2006) Google Scholar
- 22.Žunić, J., Stojmenović, M.: Boundary based shape orientation. Pattern Recognit. (2007). doi: 10.1016/j.patcog.2007.10.007