Image Compression Through a Projection onto a Polyhedral Set
- 62 Downloads
In image denoising, many researchers have tried for several years to combine wavelet-like approaches and optimization methods (typically based on the total variation minimization). However, despite the well-known links between image denoising and image compression when solved with wavelet-like approaches, these hybrid image denoising methods have not found counterparts in image compression. This is the gap that this paper aims at filling. To do so, we provide a generalization of the standard image compression model. However, important numerical limitations still need to be addressed in order to make such models practical.
KeywordsImage Compression Image Denoising Active Constraint Compression Model Total Variation Regularization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T.F. Chan and H.M. Zhou. Optimal construction of wavelet coefficients using total variation regularization in image compression. Technical Report CAM 00-27, University of California Los Angeles, July 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.R.R. Coifman, Y. Meyer, and M.V. Wickerhauser. Wavelet analysis and signal processing. In: Wavelets and their Applications, Jones and Barlett. B. Ruskai et al. eds, pp. 153–178, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Darbon and M. Sigelle. A fast and exact algorithm for total variation minimization. Technical Report 2005D002, ENST, January 2005.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Froment. Wavelets in Signal and Image Analysis, From Theory to Practice, chapter Image Compression Through Level Lines and Wavelet Packets. Kluwer Acad. Publ., Oct. 2001. A. Petrosian and F. Meyer Ed.Google Scholar
- 15.F. Malgouyres. Projecting onto a polytope simplifies data distributions. Technical Report 2006-1, University Paris 13, January 2006. Available at : http://www.math.univ-paris13.fr/~malgouy.
- 16.F. Malgouyres. Rank related properties for basis pursuit and total variation regularization. Technical Report ccsd-00020801, CCSD, March 2006. Available at: http://www.math.univ-paris13.fr/~malgouy.
- 20.Y. Meyer. Ondelettes et opérateurs. Hermann, 1990.Google Scholar
- 22.R.T. Rockafellar. Convex analysis. Princeton University Press, 1970.Google Scholar
- 23.J. Romberg, M. Wakin, and R. Baraniuk. Multiscale Geometric Image Processing. In: SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing, Lugano, Switzerland, July 2003.Google Scholar